My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2 homes. One, for the most part is a summer home, but I do have to get up there a few times in the winter to bring back firewood or go snowmobiling. Right now I have a 36inch ariens blower, but by the time i get up there to remove snow from the drive, the blower wants to crawl on top of it, instead of go thru it. So, long story short, I want to pick up a used rider, and only need a blower attachment. Any input would be appreciated as far as if its better to have PTO or belt driven blower, ect. Below, are a few of my choices in my area right now. BTW, my driveway is over 100 feet long, and blower might have to go thru over 1 foot of snow, some 2 foot drifts.

in no particular order, here are some im looking at. I will post the link instead of typing the whole thing out, that way you can see the machine as well. Below the link, i will post the price i talked them down to , so far.

Tractor/SNOWBLOWER
didnt contact this guy yet.

Simplicity Sovereign 16hp 7116 Garden Tractor 48"Deck,42"Snowblower,,
this guy went down to $1199, But said to call if i want to look at it and make offer.

Bolens Snowthrower
this guy went down to $500

BOLENS FULLY ENCLOSED RIDING SNOWBLOWER
i didnt contact this guy yet

Simplicity Broadmoor Tractor with Snowblowerthis guy went down to $800, im still waiting to see if it has PTO or belt, and hydralic lift. would like to offer him $700.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with any of these but I won't let that stop me. So for whatever it's worth here are my :2cents:

...my driveway is over 100 feet long, and blower might have to go thru over 1 foot of snow, some 2 foot drifts...

Tractor/SNOWBLOWER
didnt contact this guy yet.
I would not bother with this one. With no engine cover icing of everything from the air filter to to the cooling air intake would mean nothing but downtime to thaw it back out.

Simplicity Sovereign 16hp 7116 Garden Tractor 48"Deck,42"Snowblower,,
this guy went down to $1199, But said to call if i want to look at it and make offer.
Good old heavy beast that if in original running order would do the job but probably would also need to add chains and rear weight unless your a pretty big fellow. ;)

Bolens Snowthrower
this guy went down to $500
Looks like a nice unit but they have re-powered from 18 to 22hp. Re-powers by anyone other then if I done it myself would make me nervous but that's just me.

Looks interesting and low hours but also looks to have lived outside, perhaps road hard and put away wet with little else done to it. Rust on both structural parts and bearings could be a real problem on it.

Simplicity Broadmoor Tractor with Snowblowerthis guy went down to $800, im still waiting to see if it has PTO or belt, and hydralic lift. would like to offer him $700.
This one looks like a decent one although might be a little light weight for drifted and snow that has settled over a period of time.

Depending on if these have the ability to lock the blower at a specific height they might also tend to ride over the top of the snow to some extent. I guess I don't have any opinion on direct over belt drive. In the end it is going to come down to how much money you want to put into it for how often you will use it. You know how that goes. Some years setting up a light duty plow truck seems feasible yet other years a rotary broom attachment on the front of my rider would be the better economical choice here in Ohio anyway. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your input. i have found a few more to weed thru, but will try and learn from here before i chose a tractor.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I have a Craftsman that we owned since new. Works real well. If you found one like this ,it would do you well!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Craftsman that we owned since new. Works real well. If you found one like this ,it would do you well!
my mother in law had a nice craftsman with a blower attachment that she wanted to sell. i am always doing **** for her so i told her i would check around. she was expecting to get what she paid for it, i told her that wasnt going to happen. anyway after trying to sell it for way too much, i offered her $1000 for it, she said no. She ended up selling it a few months later for $1000. pissed me off.

Im not seeing alot of craftmans in my area. I did see a nice looking ford. the guy was asking 575, but came down to 475. im in no hurry, and these things aint selling, so maybe they might come down some more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts