My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1982 CASE 448, I cant seem to get the carb to adjust out right, I did install a new kit and fuel pump kit.
It will run great for some time and then go into a surging mode.
I did a valve job on the Onan B48M with new gaskets.
Is there a chance that I have a vacume leak at the manifold? I also did install new base gaskets there.
Its a split ( two piece intake,factory riveted together top and bottom.)
Im about to purchase a new carb(if I can find one) but if the intake might be a problem then I wasted some money.

Any thoughts or suggestions? any tips on where to purchase a carb and intake?

· Founding Administrator
1,281 Posts
Some folks use carb cleaner and have heard of others using a propane torch (unlit) testing around suspect areas with the engine running. If there is a change in engine tone as you test the areas, you may have stumbled onto the leak.

1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some folks use carb cleaner and have heard of others using a propane torch (unlit) testing around suspect areas with the engine running. If there is a change in engine tone as you test the areas, you may have stumbled onto the leak.
No vac, @ the tank, I will try the spray for leak now , thanks guys.

1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, checked today for vac. leaks with WD40, no leaks.
I did some reading on the net. one site directed me to MTF, I read a very interresting thread that I had never seen on there before. The OP of the thread had the same problem as I have. Im just as embarrased as he stated that he was. We both had the needle adjusters in the wrong sides. the idle screw and the main jet screw!!:sidelaugh live and learn.
Had a little trial run

Attachments

1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be a good one to make that mistake too as I would have never guessed it would even be possible to reverse them. :bag:
It could have been that way when I got it??:bag: either way, I had to fess up just in case someone else might run into this problem.
:sidelaugh I kept it running like that last year working my garden and my Daughters garden. lucky I guess.

1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Great! Glad you found it. Something that you'll never forget!
Thanks to everyone for the help, I told my wife that I just had to make it run right. the old CASE is so far ahead of its time with the hydraulics and and comfort of driving. it rates right up there with my JD 2210.(with its similarities)

Now Im wondering if I can take one of the JD front dozer blades and mount it to the CASE and attach the hydraulics to it?? Hummmm!

1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No one can say that Im not a patient man! :ROFL
I have used the CASE for garden tilling even thought it won't run all the time. If the engine runs good for 20 feet or so then it loses it prime, If I choke it soon enough it will pick up again. In other words I haven't fixed a thing.
I can't find a vender anywhere that can sell a reman or a new carb
everything on this Case works great, I gotta find a carb. Any new ideas in the past year??:dunno:

· Premium Member
5,899 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.