My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem a few days ago after I'd been mowing for a while: after making a pass across the lawn I stopped to move a target marker, and when I re-engaged the mower blades the mower stalled. It repeated this action every time I tried to get things going again. It would start and idle well, the wheels would drive it normally, but every time I engaged the mower blades it would stop. It would then take about four pulls on the cord to restart, where normally it takes only one.

I downloaded manuals, charts, check sheets etc and studied the problem for about a day and a half, then went back to the mower to start in on it. The problem seems to have fixed itself and did not reappear. I finished mowing another half acre with no problems.

:dunno:
I'm glad that it ran fine again, but I'd like to figure out why it had a problem so I can make sure it doesn't come back some other time. I'm slow and patient and more likely to fix the problem than to replace the carburetor outright. I'm just old-fashioned that way.

The mower isn't very old; I bought it new a couple of years ago and only mow twice a year as we don't get enough rain through the summer for it to grow much, so I mow once in the Spring and once in October. The area I consider the lawn is a little over one acre, so it takes me quite a few hours to mow, which is fine by me.

The mower is an HRR2169VYA 'walk-behind' mower, serial no. MZCG-8714018. I'm done mowing until next October, so no hurries, no worries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I put fresh gas in it. The stalling was after the first half-acre was mowed and I put fresh gas in it a second time, after which it ran fine for about 15 minutes before this occurred. The first half-acre had taken me several hours to mow long before this happened.

At the end of a mowing season I drain the gas from the tank and float bowl and let it idle 'til it runs dry.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I had a problem like that but with an old 1980 wheel horse rider I'd flip the switch to engage blade and that was all she wrote....ended up being the ignition switch itself causing the problem , how that would be I have no idea but you stated you have a pull cord ...maybe something loose with what ever wiring there is ?? just a thought

1 - 6 of 6 Posts