My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, in the spirit of Ericjr16, I've decided to document a small rehab of my own. I've done several for relatives this spring/early summer already, but this one is my own.

It's a bit of a long story, so I'll give you the condensed version. Back in 2003 I bought a brand new Simplicity snowblower. I had just bought my first house and needed a way to clear the driveway (large driveway). I ended up with a Simplicity Sno-Away 1390 (38" cut). It is a beast. Super powerful, threw snow VERY far. However, my dirt driveway turned out to be quite a challenge to clear with a walk behind snow blower. I fought it out for the first winter, but decided to go with a plow the next year. I was all set to sell it the following fall, until my Grandfather mentioned he wanted it. Being my Grandfather we worked out an arrangement, I didn't end up with much $$, but that was just fine. Fast forward to 2013, my Grandfather passes away. Magically everything gets distributed to my 2 uncles, even a few things that were actually mine but I kept at my Grandfathers place. So, 2 weeks ago I'm talking to the uncle that ended up with the snowblower. He says it has engine issues, won't stay running, hasn't run in a few years. He tells me I can have it back, just grab it any time. Well, I head over there today to drop off his Craftsman mower that I did the annual maintenance/rehab on (it was pretty trashed). I grabbed the snow blower and wheeled it onto the trailer. It's missing it's tire chains, and the "skids/shoes" that mount on the sides of the machine.

Here's what I started with:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I spent a little time trying to get a fire in it. It would only start on starting fluid....so you know why that means, off comes the carb.

Looky what I found....

Carb was completely covered in mouse nest, which was crusty with mouse urine and crap, terrible smell.

Got that all cleaned up, pulled the carb/fuel tank/shroud off for cleaning and inspection.

Oh, and found a contributor to the "it doesn't run/run right" issue...

That's the ignition "kill" to the safety switch next to the throttle. I'd say that was bouncing off of a ground rather easily, causing some headaches!!

Well, that's it for tonight...stay tuned for more updates!

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Nice blower! Funny how things gets passed around when a loved one dies!? Seen it with my moms uncle when my uncle died. Grandma gave everything to this guy for favors never given. Still bugs me he got something my uncle was wanting me to have as child. Funny what you remember.
Looking forward to getting to see the beast blow snow!

Reactions: wh55 and BigNuge

· Registered
348 Posts
My parents neighbor had one of those. I ran it a few times when the husband had some surgeries. They truly are a beast. They're so big they should have reverse beeper on them. It was joy to blow snow with on their long straight drive though. Love the industrial steel channel handle uprights. Can't wait to see what you find in the belly pan:tango_face_surprise

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately I have a busy weekend coming up, so I won't be working on it till early next week (afternoon/evenings after work). I'm going to go through the carb first, change the oil, get it running. The belly pan and top cover are next on the list after I've had a fire in it. It sure needs a good thorough cleaning and maintenance.

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Cool project! It's great you're fixing it up and giving it some much needed attention. Thanks for posting it. Looking forward to the next installment. :)

I agree with Mark's comment.

· Registered
651 Posts
Nice blower! Funny how things gets passed around when a loved one dies!? Seen it with my moms uncle when my uncle died. Grandma gave everything to this guy for favors never given. Still bugs me he got something my uncle was wanting me to have as child. Funny what you remember.
Looking forward to getting to see the beast blow snow!
same thing happened here Eric , when I was in my early 20's I used my uncles craftsman rider to mow his lawn , he was up in years and told me the rider was mine when he passed, well you know what happened there, my cousin walks right into my garage and drives the mower out onto his trailer , long story but needless to say I haven't had anything to do with him since ...yea it is funny how you remember things

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got it fired up tonight!

Went through the carb, it was an absolute mess. Flushed out the fuel tank, temporarily mounted it up, got the carb back on, pulled the plug and cleaned it.

I took a video clip of the machine running....but I'm unable to post it....?!

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Well I got it fired up tonight!

Went through the carb, it was an absolute mess. Flushed out the fuel tank, temporarily mounted it up, got the carb back on, pulled the plug and cleaned it.

I took a video clip of the machine running....but I'm unable to post it....?!

Try uploading to YouTube, I have a channel for that.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so let's try the video this time...

You'll notice some smoke. It was smoking pretty bad when I first got it running, then it got a lot better. I'm not sure if the muffler is saturated with oil/fuel, or if the motor is actually smoking. Any input would be appreciated!!

Reactions: Ericjr16

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Honestly think that is normal for a first start for a long time! Most of the machine we resurrect smoke horribly at first. Best thing is to let it run for 10-20 minutes at various speeds and loads. If it smokes still might be blown head gasket of oil leak, most likely will see cause by then!

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Honestly think that is normal for a first start for a long time! Most of the machine we resurrect smoke horribly at first. Best thing is to let it run for 10-20 minutes at various speeds and loads. If it smokes still might be blown head gasket of oil leak, most likely will see cause by then!
Ok, I'll do that once I have the shroud back on and the oil change done. I didn't want to run it too much without the cooling air being ducted and the old oil in it.

Happy to have it running though!!

Reactions: Mark / Ohio
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.