My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late last mowing season I pulled the mower out of the storage shed and drove it to the front lawn
for my wife and turned it off. When she went to start it no lights, no sound, nothing. I pushed
it back into the shed for the winter. Now I am troubleshooting it for the spring season.
I checked all the grounds and they appear connected. I recharged the battery and my meter shows
it is registering at 12.96 volts. Since the lights do not come on in the start position and there
is no clicking when I try to start up I am thinking I need to pull the key start assembly and test
that. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
That would be a good place to start, no pun intended . . . Be sure to make sure that all connections are clean of corrosion as well as tight.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
:ditto: Also read your battery voltage while in the start position on both the battery terminal and again where the heavy positive lead connects to the engine or a solenoid and into the key switch assembly. That way you can tell if one of the wires or connections is open internally.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Honda H2113 has a safety interlock system that prevents the starter from operating if a series of switches are NOT in the correct state. So first make sure all the control are set correctly for starting:

* PTO lever (must be OFF)
* Parking brake (must be ON unless operator sitting in the seat)
* Shift lever (must be in NEUTRAL)
* Seat switch (operator must be in the seat, unless parking brake is ON)

An master interlock relay controls the entire circuit along with a special diode.

Then you can inspect/test each switch, as well as the cable harness between them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info

Robert,

Thanks for the information. I follow along with the troubleshooting for the starter but shouldn't the lights at least come on in the middle start position where you are not cranking the engine. I get no lights on in the Start position and nothing at all in the cranking position. Does the seat safety also affect the lights if it is bad? Appreciate the help!!!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Robert,

Thanks for the information. I follow along with the troubleshooting for the starter but shouldn't the lights at least come on in the middle start position where you are not cranking the engine. I get no lights on in the Start position and nothing at all in the cranking position. Does the seat safety also affect the lights if it is bad? Appreciate the help!!!!!
Looking at the schematic, it appears the headlights are connected directly to the lighting coil and so they would not come on until the engine is running. The bulbs are rated at 12V AC, so pretty sure they do not get any power from the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts