My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought you guys would enjoy seein some pics of my most prized possesion. No I didnt make it and no it does not run yet. I plan on fixng it in April or May. I purchased this tractor for only $50

Tractor's history
This tractor was made in the mid 1990's by a man who lived in north Texas. He was a very good welder and made many alluminum boats. When his old riding mower broke down he decided to buy a new one that he could use for mowing his lawn, working in his garden, and moving trailers. He looked at John Deere, Kubota, Cub Cadet, and even Sears but he could not find a garden tractor that met his requirments so he decided to make one. He got to work and started buying materials. He started making it in December 1993 an finished it in July 1994. He used the tractor almost daily for mowing, working in the garden, and moving trailers. He used the tractor up until he passed away in 2003. When he passed his property and equipment was auctioned off. The auctoneer was a good freind of the creator of the tractor and when it came up in the auction he bought it. He used the tractor for a couple years and then it was parked in the barn out back. The tractor sat in the exact same same spot until October 2012 when I purchased the tractor and brought it home. I have not done much to the tractor but I plan on fixing it and using it for mowing and gardening. The creator made afew attachments for the tractor including a modified Brinly 12 inch plow ad a homemade disc cultivator. These attachments have been lost over the years.

Tractor's spec
Waukesha 23 horsepower 4 cylinder gas engine
Borg Warner T83 3 speed transmission with 2 shifters (3 forward speeds one reverse)
Narowed Chysler rear axle from the 1950's
Has 12 volt electrical system
5 gallon gas tank
Waukesha radiator
Water temp guage
Oil pressure guage
Amp guage
Hydraulic brakes
5.70/5.00 front tire size
9.5-16 rear tire size
38 inch mower deck from 1970's Sears/Roper GT
Has electric start with genorator
Tractor is about 80 inches long, 46 inches wide, and about 4 feet tall at the top of the steering wheel (highest point) measurements taken with mower deck attached

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Wow, that's a heck of a build. One of the best parts of the whole thing is that you've taken the time to learn of it's history and that you're going to preserve the tractor and it's history. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm sure it's builder is happy too.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
:ditto: That's a neat build, Look forward to you getting it running. :cool

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
That thing is cute as a 'bug'! I mean, in a manly way of course.

I've seen some very cool projects in my day but your new tractor is way up at the top.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
looks fun :ThumbUp:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Man! That is beyond awesome!!!

I love the creativity there, it has so much character to it. Nice job, it looks very thought through!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow! That looks like a beast! i wish I were more of a fabricator so that I could customize my Crapsman. I would make it look more like my Ford F150.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
A few years back, my brother and I were researching the possibility of installing a Teledyne miitary four cylinder engine. A fella had one for $400 and that synched the deal. When we went to pick it up, it was even better looking than those pictures in the sellers email. And then, upon inspection, we discovered there was no distributor! "Oh, that" he said. "You can pick them up just about anywhere". WRONG answer and if that were the case why didn't he put one in and sell it for $500??

This is what we were after except we were going to use an SS-12 Craftsman garden tractor:

Cub Cadet 982T Teledyne

This chap does extremely nice work!

·
1,329 Posts
That is awesome! I bet it gets stares when your in the yard by a street,
There were some mowers made looking like a mini jeep. always wished I could find one.:ThumbUp::ThumbUp:

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Cool tractor!! :ThumbUp:

Any idea where the fellow found the Waukesha engine? I assume it must have been in an old generator or truck or something?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the tractor running, heres more info.

I emailed a magneto repair company a few days ago and asked how much it would cost to rebuild my magneto. I got an email yesterday from them and they said to rebuild that magneto would cost about $250 so I thanked them for replying with a quote and went outside to see if I could fix it myself. Took apart the magneto last night and looked at a damaged gear inside the magneto. The gear is missing a tooth but seems to work just fine so I put the magneto back together and put a good battery on it.

Now before I go any further with the description I must mention that the first time I attempted to start it I used the orignal battery which was no good so I had to jump start it. When I started it the first time the motor turned over very slow but at the time I just thought it was supposed to be that slow so I thought the magneto was faulty because I wasent getting spark.

Ok back to the description. I hooked up a nearly new 420 amp lawn and garden tractor battery on the tractor and attempted to start it. I noticed the motor spun over much faster so I got a little carb cleaner and sprayed in the carb and the motor busted off. When I get some gas I will try and get it running.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Thanks for the update. Sometimes its the easy things first. :) You may find a rebuild kit for the mag online but not sure if it will have new gears.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got some horrible news. Due to a bunch of legal trouble with the previous owner I no longer have the homemade tractor. The PO came by today and picked it up

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
WHAT??

I was faithfully watching and enjoying your progress, and now this?

I don't want to ask any embarrassing questions so....OK.

Very sorry about the unfortunate circumstance, 98 Murry :sorry:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts