My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To tell me he been trying to get ahold of pops! Towns are doing spring clean up and some one threw out a Craftsman tractor and Cub Cadet mower which someone took all the wheels! Bob kept the mower and grabbed the tractor for us! I met dad after work to guide him to where Bob had the machine at friends he is working on. Not a bad looking machine, shifter stuck and engine only cranks 1/4 turn if that. Possible blown rod or feels like it could be some kind of blockage to cylinder? I freed shifter with WD when we unloaded tonight!
Bryan, sorry to scar you further!! :sidelaugh:idea::soap::2th::ROFL:2cents::sarcasm::sorry::bag::dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Ouch! :( That stings a bit! Glad you came out of it with another FREE mower! What else is new? :sidelaugh:ROFL:2th::sorry::bag:

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hurt you further Bryan, IT LIVES!!! :)
While waiting for paint to dry I pushed it over to take tins off. Tried to turn flywheel with tin off and it don't feel right. Took flywheel off to find this!!

Was VERY Surprised to see this!! By looks of it a magnet came loose and nailed stator! Very minor engine damage to one mounting stud of stator. I have plenty of stators and we just saved the flywheel from the Toro original blown engine!! SWEET!
We swapped the stator and was able to screw all screws into mounts! No damage to threads! Then installed new flywheel. Changed the horrible oil and tried it, FIRED UP WITH NO HELP!!

Now to pressure wash it and check out other issues. Carb seems dirty, backfires some. Valves seem tight, when cranked after fired it does the slow crank. Shifter is TIGHT! Deck engagement cable is froze or idler is froze. Otherwise drove good!!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to mention we were checking the magneto clearance, one bolt snapped!! :(
Thank God it broke high and some torch and penetrating fluid saved the day there! Mouse pee must have gotten to threads!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got home to dad having worked on it some. He swapped carb and worked on shifter. Yesterday he washed it and took off deck. He told me of some issues with it going into six gear and engine lost power on his ride. I started it and noticed it choke on full throttle. Turns out the choke came on some on WOT. I adjusted cable and looks like the governor plate may have been messed with. I'll look into it this weekend. Also see linkage is not letting trans go into six by tiny amount, adjusted linkage and works now! Drives good, some play in front though. Not too shabby for free! :)

Reactions: motorhead12

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dad showed me what the PO used as a cable washer for deck, thought it was interesting!! LOL

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We worked on the tractor today. I buffed and detailed it as it is a rainy day today. Dad was going to work on the deck, but it isn't in super condition. We then were going to swap out parts to another deck shell. Forgot we had a almost complete deck in back! It was mounted to Electric PTO tractor so we had to mount brakes and some other brackets, of course this made a project as spindle housing bolts broke! :( After some parts swapping it came together. Some unknown issue caused the belt we thought it right to smoke on deck?? Will work on it later. Need to paint deck and back of seat. Otherwise ready to test!

This original deck looked like a good one with new housings. The rust looked bad though no holes.

Guy how owned it was hack though, destroyed stars on blade end and look at the pulley splines or lack of them! :(

Used this one after a lot of parts swapping and work!

Here is some tractor after shots. Paint was quite dead. Needed a compound and good hand wax to get areas buffer is off limits. Had old pine sap stuck on spots that caused dark spots in paint. Otherwise it came out well for age and condition!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Bruce! She sure cleaned up! I managed to stuff it in shed with JD and snow blower! Tight fit but cleaner in there!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dad painted deck and seat. Also painted parts of dash. Pictures later!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She is all done and ready to sell!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
That thing came out Super!!!!!!!!!!! Nice job guys! I still can't get over the way Pops polishing those things up like new!

I always ask myself? And the answer is........ I'd buy it! :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bryan, I actually do the polishing/detailing. One job I like to do. He does it sometimes, leaves it to me mostly!

Reactions: bwhitsonjr
1 - 19 of 19 Posts