Registered
75 Posts
Doh. I really need to learn to read.
Electric start and blade clutch.
I had no clue these ever came with a BBC

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Looks like a good candidate for a new engine! Keep us posted; we love pics! :pics: :ThumbUp:
:ditto:

Nice save! Keep us posted on the resurrection. :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hear those Ariens are sweet mowers, looks like your will be a beauty. Great score!

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think so. I am going to swap the flywheel, shrouds, brake clutch, and electric start from the old one. Hopefully they are the same style with the teath added.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm concerned about this having a combination of splines on the shaft like this with a special length for the blade clutch.
Like Stan, I've never seen or heard of one of these with the BBC. Fingers are crossed that you can retain the electric start and blade brake clutch.
More pics including the BBC mechanism would be awesome to see.
Can you post the model number? 911xxx?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I am second guessing my self for what engine I can use! Attached in the last post was two possible engines.

·
Registered
75 Posts
After looking at some things, I have less concerns about the interchangeability "below the deck". I found a photo of the drive pulley witch is a stand alone part on this model. It looks to be for a standard crankshaft. It either will or it wont, and you will know the moment you pull it all apart.

Above the deck however... First, I don't know about the starter/flywheel interchangeability.
Second; With the original engine mounted sideways (spark plug to the left) how will things fit with the same orientation from a craftsman? Can the flywheel shroud and gas tank be retained on the new tecumseh? The primer and air cleaner and such on the carb will be buried down against the friction drive stuff with it mounted sideways.

How about some numbers off all the engines now. They may be stamped on the shroud by the spark plug. TVSxxx, TVMxxx?

This is an awesome mower.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the starter is probably not going to work anyways. I don't have a charging cable and most of the time they need a new battery. I am definitely going to focus on getting the clutch to work with the new engine. I have about 5 other tecumseh engines on the shelf. Just not sure what one will work. I can't get the clutch off and I am trying really hard not to break anything. Any idea how to get these clutch off? Thank for your help. It is a really cool machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can't get the clutch off and I am trying really hard not to break anything. Any idea how to get these clutch off?
I wish I could help. Shoot some pb blaster in that center hole.
I finally got the blade adapter of my swivel wheel second Ariens today. It had the odd splined shaft and I had to pry and pound the whole way. In the end there is nothing on the pulley/blade adapter I can re-use and I should have just left it with the engine.
I'm assuming you have looked at this?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Any progress on this Mike?
I just got one with a Blade Brake Clutch.
I'm out of town now until Saturday. I'm hoping you figure out how to get it apart so I can follow your lead.:)
I'm interested in learning what the crankshaft looks like and am hopeing its something standard.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dang.
I'm glad to see its not splined, but that's pretty short.

Thanks for the update.
I'm going to be pondering things for a bit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts