My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He ran his tractor over with his service truck!!! The steering is real tight. My guess is he hit front tire and bent or tweaked the steering gear.I am thinking the gear is tweaked tighter mesh than stock. The wheels track ok, and moves ok. He is 85 and shoulders can't handle the new load. This machine appears real new by muffler, shame he messed it up. The hood appears tweaked as well, opens and closes weird, hits dash.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
The hood closing funny shouts to me. I'm thinking that the angle frame is bent in front of the engine. A quick tape measure and sitting on nice, even paved cement will tell you in a big hurry. Measure from the frame to the ground on both sides and if it's severe that may be the bind he's experiencing in the steering. It's best to measure using jack stands and a perfectly straight piece of pipe or tube resting under the frame. Rubber tires and slightly bent rimes will lie to you every time ;)
If the frame is OK then...

Is it a fan gear or worm and screw?

If you can drop the drag link (or intermediate shaft...whichever it has), perhaps a little heat and gentle hits with a hammer and dolly (if it's a fan gear) and not too close to any plastic/nylon bushings may be enough to persuade it to behave :^:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mark, worm/screw type. This is the same as a our Craftsmans. I am gonna check it as you say! I have no idea how hard he hit it, but guess he dragged it a ways!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE! We worked on it today, guess what was wrong?? The DASH was bent to the passenger side and messed up the wheel alignment! We bent it back and straightened out the dash,good as new! We cleaned it up and I buffed the scratch out some. Greased it and called customer. He is happy!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will take pictures of it, looks ALOT better now!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It looks like a brand new machine again. :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! It is a new machine by looks on muffler and condition otherwise! He gave dad some extra money for repair too! Paid for the gas to deliver it!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kori, the engine looks better without bird poo huh?? ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts