My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been busy at work and got home late last night. Went on bike ride and got home to a call from in law. The JD STX we gave him, blew up?? :dunno: Was told it put out a big flame out pipe and died. I thought the dork ran it out of oil!:bag: Got there and tried to start it, runs,but makes a real loud knock type sound, not rod. The engine is running ok otherwise?? We towed it home with big Toro. I mowed for him first to try our machine out. I wonder what happened? You guys think it might be the valve seat (s) ? We will check other things first, loose bolts, etc. The flame thing makes me think something in head. Even when cranking it, can feel the clunk in frame?? Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Pull the head off first, you might find some spare parts. If its a twin, you could of thrown one rod but its still running one cylinder. Good luck ;)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, it is a Kohler CV13 single. We will tear down this weekend. It is a shame as we restored it real nice. Glad I didn't sell it as someone would be angry! My sister is easy, just test mow my tractors down there and they happy!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
You guys did do a great job with it.

I'm sure that if it's something that turns out to be not worth fixing that you could possibly find a good used motor to swap into it since the rest of the machine is nicely fixed up and worth saving.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Austen! LOL I thought about putting in the 20HP Intek Briggs twin we got out of the Craftsman!! BIG BLOCK! The hood would not fit for sure! We found the engine for Poulan in junkyard,worked out great! Betting they got a Kohler too! My friend Bob has a zero hour 15 HP Kohler he was gonna let us have if needed also. We will get it one way or other. Might give it a horsepower boost!

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's hard to kill those old Kohler singles if they have oil in them. Does it have electric pto? Most STX 38s I see have pto. I have seen them wobble about and loose and knock loudly.
Pop the shroud off and look around to see if anything loose. See if it is still charging when running also. Stator or magnets could possible make noise.
Check flywheel nut is tight.
I have heard mufflers makes some bad, odd noises too.
Good luck...and let us know what it is.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Toby. I know these engines work good for us. I have to look at all other things that might make noise. The only thing was the report of big flame out pipe and engine stopping? Still looks like internal issue of some kind.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!
We called it a early day in town, came home around 11:30. Went right to work on projects. Got a Simplicity running, painted the grill on GT-18,repaired my uncles push mower. THEN got to STX! I turned it over by hand with top tin off, hear a loud click? Went and removed the valve cover, nothing out of ordinary. Checked engine bolts, PTO, Exhaust bolts to head loose some. Took head off and found...............
The choke flapper bolt had gotten sucked into engine!! That little bolt caused that loud clunk. No wonder it seemed to run fine otherwise?? THANK GOD!!! I was real happy to see that only! We repaired the damage as well as we could, file and wire brush. We put it back together . Will run it tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Heck, she will live to fight another day

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank God yes my friend!! Did not expect the screw! Thought it would be valve seat!!

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Sometime we get lucky!!!!

·
Premium Member
601 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We were REAL Curious Brad! I wanted to know what happened! We were going inside for day, decided to look quick?!? LOL Two hours later! Five, I don't think dad even thought of Loctite :( The neighbor who gave us Wheelhorse drove up on his Husky tractor ( LOL Everyone is doing it now!! ) ,and was talking to us. I might mention it to him, maybe take it apart enough to put some on it.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Yuk, a little goes a long way! :bag:
I know, there may of been a few glasses of Johnnie Walker Black involved with the rebuild, but cant remember, it was about 6 years ago :dunno:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts