My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder can anyone help me? I have an old MTD12.5/ 38inch 6 speed lawn tractor which has been sitting around for a long time without use. Now that I want to get it going, I find that the transmission seems to be locked up. In other words, I cant roll the machine because the wheels are locked. The gear lever moves to forward with no trouble, then back through neutral towards reverse, but will not seem to be engaging reverse. I have tried foot on Brake/ clutch which makes no difference. I have tried pulling and pushing the gear change rod where it goes into the gearbox from underneath, but it seems to only move between 2 positions.
Any suggestions as to the next thing to try? thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wonder can anyone help me? I have an old MTD12.5/ 38inch 6 speed lawn tractor which has been sitting around for a long time without use. Now that I want to get it going, I find that the transmission seems to be locked up. In other words, I cant roll the machine because the wheels are locked. The gear lever moves to forward with no trouble, then back through neutral towards reverse, but will not seem to be engaging reverse. I have tried foot on Brake/ clutch which makes no difference. I have tried pulling and pushing the gear change rod where it goes into the gearbox from underneath, but it seems to only move between 2 positions.
Any suggestions as to the next thing to try? thanks
If it’s got an exterior disc brake , check that the pads aren’t seized onto the disc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts