My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cut grass for about one hour and mower quit as if i turned off the key and it would not restart.pulled both plugs and no spark. removed covers and loosened magneto and cleaned flywheel and mag rusty surfaces checked for spark again and had spark.put plugs back in and cranked engine.engine backfired and my ears are still ringing!!!!!! shook up the neighbors and sent my wife running to see if i was ok. afraid to try again should i replace magneto with a new one. thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does the engine have a low-oil switch/sensor? If so, it will kill the spark when the oil gets too low.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no it does not have a low oil sensor. i would like to know what goes wrong with the mag that would cause a backfire. it is a waste spark setup where one plug fires on compression and the same time the other fires on exhaust. had this problem years ago on a onan 2 cylinder opposed cylinders and it turned out to be the coil on that one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would get some starting fluid or brake parts/ carb cleaner, remove the air filter and spray it into the air intake, and try to start, if it starts normally, see if you can keep it running for a few seconds with short bursts of starter fluid. that will isolate it to a Fuel deliver issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts