My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on my girlfriends riding mower. Gas in the oil, so I changed the carb with one I had in stock. New plug, adjusted valves, new starter, still will not crank past compression. With the plug out it turns really slowly. The voltage in the battery drops to 6 volts while cranking with no spark plug. I get 12 volts into the solenoid and .5 volts out if I tested correctly.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Did it crank just as poorly with the old starter ??
Can you try the battery on a different machine to see if it's weak and the problem ?? The voltage might read good but it might not have the amps. :dunno:
What model MTD ??
Have you tried jumping the solenoid (battery wire terminal to starter wire terminal) just in case the contacts inside are burnt and causing too much resistance ??

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I jump the solenoid, all I get is a click from the starter. The new starter did not make a difference in the cranking speed. The battery is new but I still have my doubts about it. The MTD website calls it a 660, 17.5 HP Briggs Intek. The cheapo MTD tractors from the mid-2000s that I feel like I'm gonna break just by touching it

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
686 Posts
If the starter didn't make a difference then you should try to turn the engine over by hand to see if it's the problem.

If the engine feels normal then it's either the new battery is bad, not enough amps to spin the starter or you have something in the circuit with too much resistance. Like a bad connection or even a battery cable that's corroded or broken inside (unlikely).

You could try using a car battery and jumper cables to see if jumping from that battery to ground and your starters "+" stud spins the engine.

Have you tried to crank it with a battery charger on it and if so any difference ??

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have spun the engine by hand and it feels normal. Next step for me is gonna be taking the battery out and using jumper cables to see if the starter cranks normally

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
730 Posts
Simple fix, put old carb back on---Get new girlfriend...! LOL Or, put your VM across the battery terminals, does it still drop to 6v when cranking with No sparkplug...? If so, battery is most likely NG..considering you have already changed the starter ! Double check the red output wire on solenoid connected to the starter....be sure it's not touching metal and nothing else is wired to it...Unlikely...just ensuring no other path exist..!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts