My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hurt my foot about two years ago and while my yard doesn't justify a rider, there are days walking is a challenge. Being frugal (my son would say cheap) I looked in the normal places for a used mower with no luck.

A friend offered a free Lowes/MTD 12.5/38. The size and price were right. The mower tank was dry, which I hoped was a good sign, the tires were flat and dry rotted. Pictures are attached. It is much worse than the pictures indicate.

So far I've replaced the gas line, the fuel filter and the plug. I did an oil change and rebuilt the carb. I found several pinholes in the carb bowl which I temporary sealed with JB Weld. After I disconnected the safety switches, I could jump the starter and it would fire right up.

While I had it running for five minutes or less I've noticed the following:

Noticed a couple of things. The fuel cap needs replacing as well as the fuel bowl. The muffler was glowing red inside. Suggestions?

Also there is a version of this carb that has an anti backfire solenoid. Can I adapt that to this carb? I need to get it running consistently and then try to salvage the tires.

Any good sources for parts?

I've read Slime can save tires. Does it really work?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
slime works well for me. if the muffler is glowing, the engine is running to lean or you have a valve problem

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
According to the pics the tread doesn't look all bad.... Whether slime can bring them back to life depends on how bad the dry rot is. I would focus on what you said..... Get the engine running consistently well and then go from there. That 12.5 hp B&S looks like a very popular engine that was placed in many MTD/Yard man/Murray lawn mowers back in the day. Shouldn't have too much trouble finding parts. Good luck and let us know your progress... We like pictures :pics: :pics: :pics:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Tubes are much better than that slime. All it is to us is a big mess! I agree the engine is lean or air leak. Betting you will need to replace drive belts. Also please RECONNECT all the safeties!! They are there for a reason!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Ebay is best source of parts. Search your model number on Google. You could use solenoid carb, just run key power to it!

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Yep, I'd agree. Get all the foliage pulled away from that tractor, a little elbow grease and it'll look just fine. I'd also agree that inner tubes would be better money spent on saving the tires. I've heard good and bad about the stuff called slime, and well, I think the name says it all. Tubes are the way to go. It sounds like you've had some good advise on the other issues and questions so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The foilage and other junk is being removed piece by piece. There's a lot of it seemingly everywhere.

I have every intention to reconnecting or replacing the safety switches once I've gotten it running. I'm taking it one step at a time.

I'll look into tubes.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Be patient with the tubes. Those smaller tires can be a challenge to get off of the rim, then back on. You'll feel like a monkey wrestling a foot ball, but in the end, it will be worth the effort.

Keep us posted on your progress. Remember, we're pulling for you, we're all in this together.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wondering if the rpm's were surging when running? Close the choke some -will it stop surging? If it never did surge, you may want to investigate if the flywheel key is partially sheared ! Good luck..Muffler glowing red is Not a good thing..glowing just inside maybe not too bad..But I would not run it more than necessary till figured out..!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its inside. I now that can't be right so I need to adjust the carb. That's gotta wait until the new bowl gets here. Makes no sense to try when you're dropping gas that close to the exhaust.

I'm not sure which screw to adjust for fuel mixture. Would it be the idle mixture?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered the necessary parts and posted an ad on Craigslist looking for tires or wheels. I got an offer for all four tires mounted for $75. More than I hoped for but riders are rare here. Then the seller tells me for $100 I can have the whole mower. It's a MTD Yard Machine 18.5 twin with a 46 inch deck. I've read that twins are quieter and this one supposedly was ready to mow.

I picked up this mongrel dog (its brush painted black with a hood that doesn't match). The belts sound like they need adjusting. I'm wondering about the hydrostatic drive as it wants to slip out of gear. The safeties don't work. There's a host of little things.

My plan is to disassemble the two mowers, and take the best parts to make one. With a small yard with some hills, I intend to rebuild the 36 inch deck and install it.

All goes well, and Frankenmower will live!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Opposed twins are sweet runners. Some of the issues with this newly bought tractor may not be belts. Might be bad hydro. The decks might not be swappable. We just ran into this with two MTD we have that looked identical but with different deck sizes? Hangers were different.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Wishing you the best on your purchase and hopefully you can salvage as many parts as needed to create one good machine! :ThumbUp:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts