My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Looking to get a bigger mower next season. Just doing some research and found the Ariens WAW 34. Does anyone have any experience or know about this mower? Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Jeffo, a few questions:
1. Is this for your own personal use, or a business?
2. What is(are) the size of property(ies)?
3. What's your budget?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, it's probably as good as any in its class. Ariens is a good company that's been around for quite a while. My grandfather always swore by them - used both a waw (probably considered an early commercial unit) and a snowblower he used for years to take care of his local church grounds. The more I think about it, I seem to recall that it might have been a singe power unit with interchangeable attachments, but I'm not sure (45? years ago).

The $1200-$1300 might be bit of a problem. I see HD wants $1400:
Ariens 34 in. Self-Propelled Wide Area Walk Behind-Mower - 911413 at The Home Depot

However, I think I'd take the Ariens over the Cub HD also sells (personal preference after getting burned by a CC product that looked really good on paper):
Cub Cadet 33 in. Wide Area Cut Walk Behind Mower CC760 - CC760 at The Home Depot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, it's probably as good as any in its class. Ariens is a good company that's been around for quite a while. My grandfather always swore by them - used both a waw (probably considered an early commercial unit) and a snowblower he used for years to take care of his local church grounds. The more I think about it, I seem to recall that it might have been a singe power unit with interchangeable attachments, but I'm not sure (45? years ago).

The $1200-$1300 might be bit of a problem. I see HD wants $1400:
Ariens 34 in. Self-Propelled Wide Area Walk Behind-Mower - 911413 at The Home Depot

However, I think I'd take the Ariens over the Cub HD also sells (personal preference after getting burned by a CC product that looked really good on paper):
Cub Cadet 33 in. Wide Area Cut Walk Behind Mower CC760 - CC760 at The Home Depot
can you specifi what was wrong with the cub cadet ? I would be very interested as I have an older model 833 wide cut 33" CC that does a great job and is built like a tank.Perhaps the ones built for HD are made cheaper?here is a link to the newer version of mine
Wide Area Walk Behind Mowers

·
Registered
33 Posts
can you specifi what was wrong with the cub cadet ? I would be very interested as I have an older model 833 wide cut 33" CC that does a great job and is built like a tank.Perhaps the ones built for HD are made cheaper?here is a link to the newer version of mine
Wide Area Walk Behind Mowers
Back in '96, I was in need of a new GT. Minimum requirements were 18hp, hydro trany, 48" deck, and 2-stage snowblower capable. After much research both online and at local dealers, and once my budget was clearly defined, I purchased a CC2185 w/48" deck and 40" snowblower as it was the most bang for the buck. Also, my dad, someone who I had a great deal of respect for, owned a CC2072 that had been flawless for a few years, and then upgraded to a CC3185(?) that my brother still uses every week.

From the get-go, the mower clumped unless the grass was bone dry and even then only if cutting 0.5" or less. I removed the brace from across the lower edge of the discharge opening. Clumping improved, but was not eliminated. I decided I could live with that as I was very pleased with the tractor itself, ease of changing attachments, and snowblower performance (would darn near throw it into the neighbor's drive about 100' away).

The real problems, the ones I could not live with, began conveniently a few months after the warranty expired: pto clutch bearings disintegrated. Apparently, this was a know problem as the original clutch was replaced, per CC directive, with a completely different style/model by an authorized CC dealer. Since then, it eats pto belts on both the mower and blower, regardless of brand, after about 2 hours of operation. Additionally, the mower deck belt, after about 10 hours of use, began to behave as the pto belt did. I had all alignments, pulleys, bearings, springs.. checked/replaced by myself and/or 2 different CC dealers. Nothing was ever found to be wrong.

No dealer, to include any local CC, wanted it, nor could I sell it privately. Apparently this model's reputation preceeded it. So I still own this boat anchor despite not having used it for anything in at least 13 years.

Silly thing is I still basicly like the tractor. I've been considering getting one of those self-powered tow-behind mowers, making a FEL, putting an engine on the snow blower,...Just need the time and $$ to git 'er done.

New CC stuff might be just fine, but I am no longer willing to find out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts