My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman 917.272060 Lawn tractor and even with it jumped to my car it won't start. The current going to the solenoid drops to 8 VDC or less when the key is engaged to "start". If I jump directly to the starter with positive voltage it spins the engine.
I have checked both small wires going to the solenoid and get no voltage in any key position. Occasionally I can hear one click but then no more no matter how I twist the key. Don't I need voltage to the solenoid to engage it so it will pass battery voltage to the starter? Those trip wires just aren't working. The plug in fuse is OK.
What are the three relays for, and can I eliminate them?
Usually I can figure something out but this one has me down.
Thank you, Ernest Smith

·
Administrator
6,223 Posts
... Don't I need voltage to the solenoid to engage it so it will pass battery voltage to the starter? Those trip wires just aren't working. The plug in fuse is OK.
What are the three relays for, and can I eliminate them?
Usually I can figure something out but this one has me down.
Thank you, Ernest Smith
Yes, you need voltage to the solenoid so it closes and sends the voltage to the starter.

Looking a page 33 of the diagram:

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0101028.pdf

along with the ignition switch the power to the solenoid also flows through the brake/clutch pedal safety switch and the PTO engagement safety switch.

It looks like the relays control the fuel relay on the carb, ignition kill, and also disconnecting the charging circuit. But off hand I don't think they would keep it from cranking.

I would first make sure your ground wire to the battery is making good connection to the chassis. Second measure the voltage of the white wire with the key in the start position beginning at the ignition switch and following it through the brake and PTO safety switches to the solenoid and see what voltage if any you can find there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like you have a 4 pole solenoid. One big wire coming from the battery, another big wire going to the starter. One small (possibly white) wire coming from the key switch (after going through all the safety switches) and a small black (?) wire, which is solenoid ground. Yes, when you turn the hey you should have 12v at the white wire. First thing I would do is remove, clean, and re-install the wires at the battery. Then unplug the wire harness going to the switch and clean both the harness and switch terminals. If that doesnt get you going then it is tracing the wires to find the faulty safety switch. Personally I start at the solenoid and work back. I do know for a fact you will find the problem in the last place you look. :ROFL:sorry:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts