My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing a riding mower, but I need some advice. I have about 1.6+ acres to mow, but I have some nasty hills (some are 60+ degrees). I use to have someone come cut it on a zero turn mower, but I think it's a commercial model. I'm looking for a recommendation of a kind/brand/model of mower that could handle my acreage and hills...

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Todd

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Hi Todd,

Thanks for your post.

Are you thinking along the lines of using a zero turn or would you want a lawn/garden tractor? A tractor (especially a garden tractor) will have more capabilities for performing other jobs as well like snow blowing & plowing if you needed. If you don't see the need for the machine to perform other tasks, then a dedicated zero turn might be the ticket.

Zero turn mowers are also more maneuverable in tight areas vs. a lawn/garden tractor.

What is your price range?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Austen,

I don't need the machine to perform other tasks, it can be dedicated. My worry was really about the hills (looking again, they are more like 45 degrees). If a zero turn mower is better for the task, then I'm all for it. I'd like to keep the price under $3,500 if possible.

Thanks for you help!
Todd

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
It sounds like a ZTR would serve you best; they're faster and more efficient for dedicated mowing tasks.

Do you have any local dealers for yard equipment? There are many good brands of mowers, so oftentimes dealer support for your mower is the best thing to go by.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are both JD and Husqvarna dealers within 20 miles of me. This will be my first riding mower, so any input will help!

Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Here's an idea for Husqvarna.
Husqvarna Zero Turn Mowers Z248F

The Vanguard engine is a huge plus; they're usually only found on top-end commercial mowers.

JD's comparable mower costs a little more and I don't think it's as competitive. It has a lower grade standard Briggs engine and a stamped deck (the Husq has a heavier fabricated deck).

https://www.deere.com/en_US/product...rn_mowers/residential_ztrak_mowers/z525e.page?

There are other mowers that cost a little less; I think the Husqvarna model is a pretty good value considering the fabricated deck and commercial engine.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
This post is related to Lawn tractors only...

If you do spend $3500 on a JD it probably still won't get you out of the basic tranny they offer in their lower end tractors the K46 by Tuff Torq. Something better than this bottom of the line transmission would be suggested especially for the grade your talking.

It's not until you reach the JD X370 series which runs $3999. This model incorporates the K57 tranny. Built better and serviceable. It allows for a oil change and filter change. Greatly extending the life of the transmission.

On the Husq end model GT54LS features the K66 tranny. This one is 4th up the list or 3rd from the top. Very robust transmission and Based on the same trusted technology as the K58, the K66 is a highly durable transaxle. The K66, however, features a 10cc pump and a 10cc motor for more power as well as steel automotive type gears. This transaxle is fully plow-capable for use in light to medium duty garden tractor applications. Price for $3199. IMO you get more for your money when it comes to this price category. JD vs Husq.

I feel the Husq will meet your needs and fall under your budget. Allowing a little extra for a bagger or other attachment should you need one.

With your acreage you don't necessarily need a ZT although of course it will make the work faster. I do see you said it doesn't matter if it's dedicated and in the case of a tractor it wouldn't be. Meaning it's far more capable than a ZT. But you're just cutting grass so.... Check out these 2 links on the above mentioned tractors and tell me what you think:

Husqvarna Riding Lawn Mowers GT54LS

https://www.deere.com/en_US/product...wn_tractors/select_seriesx300/x370/x370.page?

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Going to have to agree with you on that maxmag!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
If you think that traction is the most important thing for you rather than speed, you are probably headed in the right direction towards a tractor. They turn and handle better on hills because they have real front wheels instead of casters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. I think traction is the best option for me (looking at python's video, maybe it's not 45 degrees, it looks very similar to the video). I will be looking a the tractor models you all recommended. I don't mind going slower, as long as I'm safe, and I think I'll be going down the hill only. It will take longer, but it's the safer option.

Again, thanks everyone!
Todd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for disappearing on this post, but things have been hectic around here. So I haven't gotten anything yet, but I'm leaning towards a Husqvarna... I need it to fit through a 60in door for storage, so I'm thinking a 48in blade model? Plus one with a locking differential, for safety, because of the the hills. My budget has shifted, I'd like to keep it around $2,500 if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Todd

1 - 20 of 37 Posts