My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aquired a used Swisher bucket last year,just now getting it mounted. I have a thought, I think I should ask about this befor I try it.
My Suzuki is a 2000, only 400 miles on it, I really would not like to hang a winch on the front bumper. My thought is to mount the winch on a proper place on the bucket. attach a strap with a hook of some sort to the bumper.
Is this feasable? has anyone seen or tryed to lift this way? for your thoughts, DrB
BTW, the winch in the pic is just setting there

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
OK Doc, I'll jump in and sound confused. :D Maybe I'm reading this wrong but, you are wanting to mount the bucket to the 4 wheeler with a winch on the bucket or the bucket is going on something else and you want to put the winch on the 4 wheeler but use a strap to attach the winch to the 4 wheeler? :dunno:

Mr Confused :bag: It doesn't take much...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
OK Doc, I'll jump in and sound confused. :D Maybe I'm reading this wrong but, you are wanting to mount the bucket to the 4 wheeler with a winch on the bucket or the bucket is going on something else and you want to put the winch on the 4 wheeler but use a strap to attach the winch to the 4 wheeler? :dunno:

Mr Confused :bag: It doesn't take much...
I think, he wants to fling the bucket on some kind of plate and then stuff the whole lot on the 4wheeler.

-stan

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think, he wants to fling the bucket on some kind of plate and then stuff the whole lot on the 4wheeler.

-stan
I have the swisher bucket AND original Suzuki mounting assy, notice the front shot there is the leaf spring already mounted on the 4 wheeler. This is a original Suzuki fitted set up. I only wondered if it was a good or bad idea,to mount the winch on the bucket control arm instead of mounting it to my front bumper. I only would like to get away from mounting anything to my bumper. No stuffing going on here, if it wount fit perfectly, it wont go on at all.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Physically the stress on everything I would think should be the same. Only thing would be that you would have to run the electric control wire out to the winch on the bucket where it might be more prone to snagging on brush or something due to greater exposure.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
When you say the winch is just sitting on the bucket, that's not necessarily where you would intend to mount it, right? I don't see any reason you couldn't mount it to the frame of the bucket and run the cable to the ATV. The only disadvantage I can imagine would be that the winch would only be useful on the bucket then, and not be available for any other purpose without removing it from the bucket.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you say the winch is just sitting on the bucket, that's not necessarily where you would intend to mount it, right? I don't see any reason you couldn't mount it to the frame of the bucket and run the cable to the ATV. The only disadvantage I can imagine would be that the winch would only be useful on the bucket then, and not be available for any other purpose without removing it from the bucket.
I intend to mount it where the cable hook normally mounted. welding a mounting plate to that 2x2 arm.
I dont have any use for the winch on anything else. I will consider the winch as a permanent piece of the bucket.
actually I have two trucks with 8,000 lb winches and a JD with a FIL.
I bought this swissher so cheap I just thought it would be fun to play with and use it at the bussiness on Main st cleaning the lot,IF it snows this year!. Thanks for your input,DrB

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Ok, I think I get it (slooowww) I didn't know you could have a bucket on a 4 wheeler. Thought there might be issues with using a bucket on something with a suspension (bouncing and movement). I think mounting a winch on the bucket/frame would work and always leave the option of removing everything if want to sell it in the future without damaging or altering the Suzuki.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I think I get it (slooowww) I didn't know you could have a bucket on a 4 wheeler. Thought there might be issues with using a bucket on something with a suspension (bouncing and movement). I think mounting a winch on the bucket/frame would work and always leave the option of removing everything if want to sell it in the future without damaging or altering the Suzuki.
LOL, I knew you would figure it out:party
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200150824_200150824

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Have you seen the winch mounted to a plate that fits into a cl III receiver? You could weld a receiver to the bucket or frame and slide the winch into it when you need it.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just when I think I have it all figured out!

Thanks for today's lesson :)
:ROFL just kidding with ya, I dont articulate very well, but we can wirk threw it.
My inferior motive here with the ATV toy, hoping my Son and employes will push some snow so I wont have to.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you seen the winch mounted to a plate that fits into a cl III receiver? You could weld a receiver to the bucket or frame and slide the winch into it when you need it.
HEY, I like that idea:ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I made one for my Boss (Lt.) that fit into a receiver that he welded to the front of his trailer. He coud take it out when he wanted to store it and also put it in the receiver of his truck when he needed to pull or hoist something when he went up to the woods in Georgia. Pretty neat stuff!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
We made a control box that was part of the assy so it was self contained. Plug and play!

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We made a control box that was part of the assy so it was self contained. Plug and play!
you woke up my brain, I have seen this set up but hadnt gave it a thought on this deal.
I got a control box and cable with mounting for the control.
I gave $150.00 for the bucket and ATV mounting kit, the controls and winch. I love it when a good deal comes along, makes the searce and fun all worth while,

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
After seeing what they go for, I'd say you got a heck of a deal!
I think I heard the sound of bacon frying.....Oh, its a welder going! ;) It's at least an option on the list.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gotter done, tryed it out this evening,works great.
I had a problem for awhile, the winch would run down great but it would intermit comeing up. The winch motor looked good inside, so I went into the remote switch, the contacts were corroded and a had burn spots. cleaned them and it doing fine now.

Well, I tryed for a half hour to upload pics, failed, it took forever on MTF also. thats strange.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Don't give up, I want to see em! What method
did you decide for attaching the winch?

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will try the pics again, I didnt do the reciever hitch yet, I do intend to fab one up for this piece
If these pics will upload then I have more to upload.
I removed the bucket and installed a snow blade. I will explain if the pics work

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts