My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lawn tractor that I bought in 2004. It has been a good tractor. It has a Brigs 23hp. ELS twin motor. Some time when I go to start the tractor, the motor will turn over, then stop. If I turn the key on and off, it will turn over again. Some time I need to turn the key off and rotate the fly wheel by hand a turn. This does always happen, I would like to remady the proplem, if I can. Thank You for your in put.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Definitely sounds like an eletrical problem, either with the battery, starter or starter solenoid....
First i would check the battery voltage while cranking, or have it load tested (free at most autopart stores).
to rule out the battery and starter, you can get a pair of jumper cables, Hook to the battery, hook the other negative end to a good ground on the mower or engine, (Drain plug, bolt head, etc.) and touch the + lead of the jumper cable to the starter motor lug, (if the solenoid is mounted on the starter, touch it to the bottom lug that goes to the starter motor), expect some sparks. if it cranks good without hesitation, your battery is good and your starter is good, so that either leaves a loose ground cable, bad starter solenoid, or rarely, a faulty key switch,

·
Registered
483 Posts
If never done, I would check your valve clearances. If the gaps are too wide, the compression release will be dis-abled and make the starter work harder than it should.

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a lawn tractor that I bought in 2004. It has been a good tractor. It has a Brigs 23hp. ELS twin motor. Some time when I go to start the tractor, the motor will turn over, then stop. If I turn the key on and off, it will turn over again. Some time I need to turn the key off and rotate the fly wheel by hand a turn. This does always happen, I would like to remady the proplem, if I can. Thank You for your in put.
How much does cost you tractor?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, very happy with my tractor. Bought it in 2004, it has ran and worked real well. Found out I needed to adjust the valves. It starts real well not. No more hesitation. Paid 1500.00 USD. Bought it new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.