My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have an older craftsman green machine series 917 42 inch rider with the Kohler 15.5 command engine. It's been great and I love the oil filter filtration. Pretty simple engine to work on, reliable as helk, and what I see is better than the newer Kohler courage series engines. I am in the need of a bigger rider mower due to expanded yard. (48-54 inch cut) I see motors are greatly bigger in hp that my Kohler. So, I am curious what engines are most reliable both in the Kohler and briggs. I want simple maintenance and cheap upkeep. I see that the briggs 21hp platinum are nightmares and are prone to expensive repairs. And I see some briggs opposed engines may be an issue here and their. I would apprecaite any feedback.I really like the older stuff because it was built better that the new stuff.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you are not buying new, stay away from 15-19HP Kohler single cylinder engines, Courage or Command. I have replaced many junk ones due to the blocks cracking then they lock up or break the piston rod. The issue is the cylinder is really supported from the front wall of the engine block. They top engine cover bolts loosen over time and will allow the cylinder to flex thus cracking the block to the left of the cylinder at the front wall of the block. Many have attempted to repair with epoxy, welds and brackets.

·
Registered
1953 Lawn Boy, 2008 Craftsman Pro, 1991 JD 260 GT
32 Posts
Hello I have an older craftsman green machine series 917 42 inch rider with the Kohler 15.5 command engine. It's been great and I love the oil filter filtration. Pretty simple engine to work on, reliable as helk, and what I see is better than the newer Kohler courage series engines. I am in the need of a bigger rider mower due to expanded yard. (48-54 inch cut) I see motors are greatly bigger in hp that my Kohler. So, I am curious what engines are most reliable both in the Kohler and briggs. I want simple maintenance and cheap upkeep. I see that the briggs 21hp platinum are nightmares and are prone to expensive repairs. And I see some briggs opposed engines may be an issue here and their. I would apprecaite any feedback.I really like the older stuff because it was built better that the new stuff.
You're likely going to need to cut weekly with those deck sizes. If cutting weekly 17HP+ - If cutting bi-weekly 22HP+.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts