My Lawnmower Forum banner

Modern vs Vintage size comparison

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Kingwood990 
#1 ·
From left to right.
2000 Yardmachines lawn tractor, 2006 John Deere X520 garden tractor, 1974 MTD 990 super garden tractor.

And can't forget vintage lawn tractor vs garden tractor.
From left to right.
1978 Sears GT/11 varidrive, MTD 990.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice line up!

#4 ·
Guys thanks for the comments.
My guess why newer tractors are bigger or seem bigger is because the newer engines are physically larger so the body has to be larger for clearance.

Here's a better picture of the 990 vs X520.

#5 ·
BTW, How do you like the Yard Machines lawn tractor? How much horsepower does it have? I have an MTD that is probably very comparable to your Yard Machines, though it may be a few years older...probably around 1995. Despite MTD's recent reputation, I really like mine, I guess mine was made before MTD's quality dropped. Mine has a replacement 11hp I/C B&S engine, which most always starts up very well.
Anyway, I guess I'll have to take a picture of it some time and post it in the MTD section.

#6 ·
I like it but it is nothing like the other machines in the garage.
This one is the 17.5 B@S twin. It has the 42in mower with gator blades and the bagger. I have only used it to get up leaves with it. For what it is it is a great machine with the exception I had to remount a belt that came off. I personally do not own the machine but am storing/using it for the winter. It belongs to a good friend that does not want it to set out in the weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.