My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had some time to work on my 08' Trailblazer today and figure I'd better get some work done while the weather is nice. It's got 92K and has the 4.2ltr I6 and 4 wheel drive. I went to a local GMC dealer and bought 6 AC Plugs (41-103 Iridium) and 2 qts of AC Auto Trac II for the transfer case, came to $68 total. Turns out the transfer case needs a special oil, a GM Truck Forum I'm a member of had the info available. Also clued me into the 10mm hex drive 3/8" drive socket that makes it easier. I picked one up at a Home Depot we passed by.

I put the truck up on 4 stands and drained the transfer case. I used hand pump to refill the case because the fill hole is tucked up there and right by the muffler. There really isn't much room to work with. I have the pump to refill the lower unit of my outboard engine, now I have two uses for it.

Changing out the 6 plugs was straight forward enough. Removed the air filter box, the air intake tube, and the air box that connects to the butterfly throttle valve. 5 bolts, 2 hose clamps and everything is out of the way. The front four plugs were easy. The back 2 are under the cowl but accessible with an assorted extension lengths. Needed them to be able to get to the plug, sunk down into the head, and be able to make the turn under the cowl to remove / install the plug. Not bad at all, just a sore back from being hunched over the engine for about an hour. The coil packs were held down by 1 screw each and they came out easy. I didn't unplug the coil packs themselves because I didn't want to disturb them, I just layed them off to the side while I RnR'd the plugs.

Greased the ball joints and drive shaft while I was at it. Just a few more things left to do and it'll be ship shape for another load of miles, I hope!

:The old plugs held the original spec gap of .040". Pretty amazing how durable these things are to hold up so well with 92K on them.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Good job done Mike! I used to do that work for a living, might be part of my back pain! Did you use dielectric grease in the boots?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did Eric, but I doubt it will make much difference. The coil packs didn't snap onto the plug, there is a spring that lands onto the plug and makes contact. Better or worse I don't know, but they came apart easily and didn't seem any worse for wear.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice work, for sure it will pay off!

Doesn't it feel great to get stuff like that done? :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Good work, Mike......a stitch in time. And I think you'll be even happier you did it now when we get this cold snap coming in :2th:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Good work, Mike......a stitch in time. And I think you'll be even happier you did it now when we get this cold snap coming in :2th:
I'm very much in that same mindset.

Great to get preventative stuff like that done before the weather turns versus doing it in a cold garage, or even outside in less than ideal weather.

Not too mention, when the weather does turn, you can then sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor. :2th:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm very much in that same mindset.

Great to get preventative stuff like that done before the weather turns versus doing it in a cold garage, or even outside in less than ideal weather.

Not too mention, when the weather does turn, you can then sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor. :2th:
Absolutely true guys, hoping to get everything done to the truck before the snow flies. I wanted to do both differentials but ran out of time and I need to pick up a rear end cover gasket. My service manual told me the rear end had a drain plug, not the case with the one in my truck! NUTS!!!

So now I need to figure out what gasket I need because there are a few choices. The front I'm hoping to use a suction pump to remove as much fluid as possible and just refill it. Will get to it soon as possible. Forgot to pick up a fan belt but that's an easy job and can be done anytime, just warm up the engine if it's cold. That will conclude the big stuff, the rest I'll get to in due time.

Thanks guys!:howdy:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
You did good Mike. Most people forget dielectric grease. Best to do now like guys said.��

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
You'll be glad you did that before it gets cold and nasty both outside and inside pretty much any garage! Nice work! :ThumbUp:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts