My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I recently acquired a mid 90's Craftsman mower made by MTD and I am hoping to fix it up a bit as a project. First off I would like to share my progress so far the first two photos are what it looked like when I first got it, the second photo the fenders are just laid in place.

1.JPG

2.JPG

The next two photos are once I reassembled the body, and then when I started to paint it.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Besides what you can see in the photos I also tore down the Briggs 16HP opposed Twin and fixed some cracked cylinder head bolts, and rebuilt the carb. The only thing I need now to get it running is a new coil

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Looks pretty shinny. Any luck on finding the model number? I know MTD is does have manuals online, and they were helpful in providing information on an older rider I had once.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mark.

No bwdbrn, the previous owner tried to fit a bigger battery and I guess he removed the model number in the process. I have narrowed it down but still can't find a manual

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Hello,
Just checking in to see the progress you made with your craftsman and of coarse see if you have more pictures! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Guys, this Kinda hit the wall when I found a compression issue with one of the cylinders. From reading up on it it looks like there are press in valve seats in these engines? that I could replace?

I guess a good question would be where i can buy them at a good price?

Or I did see some people file the back of the valve to lower it in to place? is that a good idea because it seems like it could cause me more issues in the future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohh I also think I figured out the model, the parts list for 'Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor Model 690 through 699' Style 9 looks like the right one.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Sorry Guys, this Kinda hit the wall when I found a compression issue with one of the cylinders. From reading up on it it looks like there are press in valve seats in these engines? that I could replace?

I guess a good question would be where i can buy them at a good price?

Or I did see some people file the back of the valve to lower it in to place? is that a good idea because it seems like it could cause me more issues in the future.
www.partstree.com

Type in the model of the engine and they should have anything you want!

-Stan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts