My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet a couple of my daughters pets,

Here we have Dave, the Rastafarian rooster,

and meet Stripes the Easter egg chicken, She lays green eggs (They taste great with Ham!)

We have 23 chickens for now. And most of them have names that my daughter can tell you all about :)

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
I want to see a picture of that egg!:cool

That first one seems to be saying, Doon wurry mahn, jez be hoppy.
The second one seems worried you might be inviting it to go along with you to Bojangle's for dinner. (What did you say was on the menu?!)

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
That is cool. She lays those eggs naturally, or is there something about the diet that makes them that way? I've heard of chickens laying different colored eggs, but never done any research to find out how or why. Is it just the breed? Do different chickens lay different colored eggs?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not an expert on it but the different breeds do have some variation in the colors. I have Rhode Island Reds that lay a brown egg, I have another apricot colored chicken that lays a different variated brown egg and the multi colored that is pictured above that lays the green eggs. There is no special diet other than the layers formula high in calcium that I get from TS. McMurray Hatchery is an on line company that you can order these birds from as chicks. You get them in the mail! You go and pick them up from the PO. They pack them up in little reinforced cardboard shippers when they are a day old and you get them a day later. Its pretty cool. All were very healthy and I had no casualties. :cool

·
Administrator
6,270 Posts
I never knew you could get them in the mail. Tractor Supply here about once a year has chicks of various breeds along with ducks. I'm always tempted but don't know how well that would go over with my city neighbors. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.