My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of some stripes I put down in my grand father's lawn with the striper I built that fits a regular 21 inch deck walk behind mower. Ill get some pics of the striper later, its pretty much a piece a of 3" PVC with end caps and filled with sand and connected to the deck with steel brackets where the ole rubber/plastic flap used to drag behind the mower.

I built the striper because I was looking at the Toro striper kit and thought the price was rediculous and I built my own. Does anyone else stripe with their residential mower? I dont know why but I love the appearance it leaves.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I think it adds a nice look. If I had actual grass worthy of doing it I would but I have a little of everything blend and looks good when mowed from the street, just don't get too close! :D

When I bush hog the pastures, I try to keep nice straight lines because it gives it that striped pattern and thats the closest I can get to duplicating that look.:)

I think its great you saw a need for something and made it yourself. Thats what keeps the spirit alive of the DIY-er :cool

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Oooooooo, Looks awesome, cphelps2011.

Is it possible to you show us a little detail of the (DIY) attachment you've designed?

btw, After my initial impression of your lawn, I have to say you've got some beautiful landscaped property and what looks to be a nice place to relax and enjoy :cool!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Very, very nice! What lush lawn you have!

I too would love to see how you built your setup.

Thanks for sharing with us! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, i will add some photos of the striper. The main idea is that it is a weighted heavy cylinder pulled behind the mower that turns, and does not get caught under the deck when reversing.

It is sort of crude, but works like a charm. I guess you could say it is a prototype until I want to spend some money and build one with some ball bearings and bushings that fit better. I have used it for 2 seasons of mowing 4 lawns a week, and worked like a charm. I love the way it leaves stripes in some nice thick, manicured, healthy Missouri grass. I will intentionally drive past lawns I have used it on just see how long the stripes are lasting.

The construction of the mounting brackets would be based on your mower deck and lay out, but basically it is a 3" piece of pvc pipe cut long enough to leave a stripe between the track of the rear wheels of the mower. Each end cap has a hole drilled in it large enough to fit a bolt, with a nut and a washer on the outside of the mounting brackets. Because I did not go through with finding ball bearings to fit it, the loose fit of the bolts inside the bracket and pvc end cap allow the bolts to spin within the bracket and pvc pipe.

The mounting brackets are bolted to the deck with with some nylon bushings the fit just well enough to keep the whole thing from binding. The brackets are all steel, strangely enough some of the steel brackets are fabricated from garage door opener arms I had laying around then drilled and ground down at the ends to fit.

The pvc rolling cylinder is packed full of regular sand bag sand. I fill a third of the way, tap on the sides to settle the sand, repeat and so forth until the the cylinder is as full as possible. The whole striper probably weighs 5-8 lbs.
It will not leave good stripes unless you leave the grass cut 4" or higher, it needs to be able to bend the grass over so that the reflection of the sun bounces of one side or the other so it basically depends on which direction you look at it.

Like I have said, I build this gizmo as cheaply as possible. I probably would have bought the toro rig for the 80 something bux they sell it for, but I didnt want to wait for Lowes to order one in, or buy it on the internet and wait, so I through one together that works surprisingly well. Look at the pictures I have and get to work. Its pretty simple depending on how complicated you want to get.

The one in the picture is connected to my Cub Cadet 98m that I trying to get running correctly to sell sometime this winter or spring. I have yet to take the time to fabricate some mounting bracket to put it on my Honda HRB216HXA I started using a week ago because the Cub is an utter piece of American disgrace to so called commercial quality lawn power equipment........:dunno:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts