My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are magneto's all the same on different hp models. I'm having starting issues with a 5hp briggs log splitter. Haven't checked the key yet as it's been raining and will do that tomorrow. But was wondering if I can take a mag off another briggs motor that's a different hp and use it on the 5hp that's on the splitter. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Al, magnetos are different between series of engines, and not necessarily between horsepower. For example, a Briggs 398811 Magnetron coil is good the 14000, 17000, 19000, 20000, 22000, 23000, 24000, 25000, 30000 and 320000 Briggs engines.

What model engine do you have?
If the engine is on the older side, it may have a number of potential magnetos, some with and without magnetron ignition

Chris

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am very familiar with the Briggs 190432. I have one on a portable generator, and another on a walk behind blower.
The 190000 Briggs is not 5hp. it is rated to produce 8hp @ 3600rpm.

I have never had a flywheel key shear on these engines, but the loading condition of a generator/blower is a bit different than that of a hydraulic pump.

The three biggest problems with these engines, are:
- The 298968 coils. They always go bad when the engine runs for too long. Replace the coil with a Briggs 398811. That is the magnetron coil. Remove the points and condenser, and replace the flywheel key while you are at it. You should be able to pick up a new 398811 coil for about $25.
- The two piece three bolt flo-jet carburetor. The carburetor always needs to be adjusted as it tends to lean out the mixture simulating a no spark condition after a few minutes of run time. A good carburetor cleaning and new gaskets will solve this, as will the use of loctite threadlocker blue on the main fuel adjuster.
- These kool-bore engines do not like to be run at governed speed for extended periods of time. With today's ethanol fuel coupled with a restrictive muffler, the exhaust valve seat will get hammered into the aluminum block in no time, eventually causing a lack of compression, and ultimately necessitate a valve job.

You can make these engines run good and strong by removing the points and condenser, adding a new magnetron coil, adjusting the valves every 100 hours of use, installing a straight through muffler, and adding a fuel bowl underneath the tank.

Chris

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again for the help. I will get on it this morning. You know what it's like when you have something like this that isn't working, I've got two "friends" that want to borrow it. I know that the engine is an 8hp, I just junk picked a MTD snowblower and it has a 5hp tecunseh on it, must have been confused.

AL

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a generator with an 8hp briggs on it and the model #is 194414 will the mag work on the log splitter? I'd like to try it just to see if it works.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I changed the mag from the generator to the splitter and couldn't get anything to work, I tried different plugs,and couldn't get any spark from any of them. I'd put them back on the engine I took them from and it would fire right up. Finally I got zapped from holding the mag wire and plug and decided this was the one that was going to work. wrong. I ended up taking the carb off the generator and the splitter started on the first pull. I had a couple of stumps laying around so I put the splitter to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ran the splitter today and after about 15 minutes it shut down like it had lost spark. It started right up after that and after about 5 minutes shut down again, then 5 minutes later shut down. Almost sounds like it's starving for gas. It has a float bowl on the bottom and I"ve taken it off and there's nothing in it but gas, I also have a new gas line from the bowl to the carb. Any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
These engines were notorious for having bad coils. Install the aftermarket 398811 Magnetron Coil and a new Champion RJ19LM sparkplug and your problems will go away.

After reading your second to last post, about swapping carburetors, there is no physical link between the presence of a carburetor and whether or not the engine has spark. It sounds like your coil is shorting to ground, or an ignition kill switch has faulty wiring. Replace the coil and check all of the ignition wiring. If there are any loose ends, tape them up with some electrical tape for the time being, and re-wire when you get the engine working the way it should.

Chris

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the new mag installed and when the engine starts it runs and putts like a stationary engine, anything I do to the carburator does any good. any ideas? thanks

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Yup, I have, was just wondering if the post slipped through the cracks. I've had a few do that.. :(
I haven't had a chance to follow this thread. Is this a coil type set up or does it have points and condenser under the flywheel? It sounds a little like a timing issue.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Is there a troubleshooting guide with it? I'm not familiar with those but do have a few candidates for that set up. Is there a version for a twin cylinder vs a single?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure what other apps it will fit. Read through other posts in this thread, one of the members recommended this coil.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Just read the other posts of what K-Tron recommended. Did you change the spark plug to the RJ19LM sparkplug? Did you check the air gap of the coil, if it has one as I'm not familiar with the Magnatron coil?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did change to a new plug, and checked air gap. In this 90+ temps we've had this week I haven't felt like doing very much outside so I haven't worked on it.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I would probably start looking at the adjustments on the carb as the engine is running and the coil is producing spark. Did you swap carbs too or did you keep the original carb?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts