My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LX172 I bought a few months ago kind of in a basket. The guy I got it from said it quit running and was throwing new parts at it hoping to get it to run. I got it home and replaced the ignitor and wala it started right up. Now the problem is every time I go to start it, it backfires. Actually it's more like a small explosion out the exhaust. Once it starts it runs like a champ, idles fine and mows great. The parts that where replaced were the coil, spark plug, fuel solenoid and of course the ignitor. Any help on this problem would greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Try starting it cold without the air filter. Also check the exhaust for blockage. Kawa has had tons of problems with the igniters on these engines. Make sure that the part you installed was new; I believe they've been through several updates. You could also check the flywheel key; I think it's probably okay, since the engine eventually runs fine. Another trick you could try would be to adjust the valve clearance to slightly above spec; that might help out.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sounds like the 160 we have! Believe it or not, check the fuel pump! Remember guys who much we went through with the 160 and it was poor fuel flow from pump. It also backfired through muffler and carb some. Worth a shot!

Reactions: motorhead12

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try starting it cold without the air filter. Also check the exhaust for blockage. Kawa has had tons of problems with the igniters on these engines. Make sure that the part you installed was new; I believe they've been through several updates. You could also check the flywheel key; I think it's probably okay, since the engine eventually runs fine. Another trick you could try would be to adjust the valve clearance to slightly above spec; that might help out.
Ignitor came from John Deere and it's brand new. Exhaust couldn't be blocked because it runs fine after start up and with it backfiring I don't think anything could be in it now. Took the fuel pump off my neighbors 175 and with the air filter off it still backfires. I'm at wits end as I bought this LX to do a flip, but I can't really sell it to someone if it has a noticeable problem, kind of a deal breaker if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Same thing happened to our 160, was to be quick flip. Owned it a year now! :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well by chance I figured out the problem. I undid everything the previous owner did. Come to find out he never or didn't properly set the air gap on the coil to the flywheel. Reset it to .010 and it started right up and I have since tried it a few times at a cold engine start and a hot engine start without as much as a hic up. It starts a lot quicker and runs awhole lot smoother. I can't believe how simple the fix was and I blame myself for not double checking someone else's repair since I knew he was just throwing parts at it trying to get it to run. Thank you everyone for the replies and suggestions. Now I know.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I'm glad you found the problem! I never would have thought that the coil gap would be off. :scratch: Sometimes problems are caused by the weirdest things! :ROFL

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
weird, normally if i have to gap an ignition i take a business card and place it in between the flywheel magnets and ignition module and tighten the bolts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts