My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...so I got a JD LT166 from my wife's uncle. Here is my problem, the tractor originally came with a BS 16hp engine (which blew). Now it has a BS 14hp engine that needs to be installed. I am not sure where the 14hp engine came from...

1. Can I swap this engine in?
2. Anybody happen to have wiring diagram for LT166 (so I can see what goes where on the engine)
3. The new engine is BS 287707, type 0153 01, code 9302094A

The new engine doesn't appear to line up directly with the old mounting holes so I will probably have to drill some new ones.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Maybe someone here has done a similar swap and will jump in here shortly.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
nvy, welcome! It isn't too hard! Main thing is the muffler and lining up holes. Most are universal plates, sometimes other holes are perfect! Just have to play with it as moving it too much messes the belt length up. You might need new throttle cable as I just Googled the tractor and the engine. Now I know you should be alright with the muffler for that engine. The twin muffler needs to go. The wiring should be real close as Briggs to Briggs is ok! Here is one for tractor.
http://www.justanswer.com/small-engine/25w9t-wiring-diagram-john-deere-lt-166-yard.html
The engine is simple, usually black for kill wire, look for the wire going to magneto on engine, that is ground to kill engine with key.
Orange and red are the charging system , orange usually being headlight circuit. Red for the recharging of battery!
Here is a picture of my recent swap so you know you can do it too! A Ariens with a blown Kohler Courage to a Opposed twin Briggs!

Reactions: tiretrx
1 - 4 of 4 Posts