My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem started: while mowing,engine started vibrating violently.
Conditions found: all 4 engine mount bolts missing.
Corrective action: replaced all 4 engine mount bolts with blue locktite on threads.The tech at the JD dealership said this was a common problem with this model.
Now since I have replaced the bolts the engine will not start.
1.battery is charged.
2.all safety switches checked and are in good working order.
3.Ignition switch is good.
4.wiring harness has been removed and all wires checked for continuity.
5.ignition module is good
6.starter is in good working order
7.solenoid is in good working order
8.stator is ?????? it's not burnt and doesn't stink.
9.all grounds are clean and tight
10.fusible link has been checked
11.diodes are also good.
12.both Relays are good
13.spark plug is hot

Now,armed with the above information,let me add this.With the stator UNPLUGGED,I can jump start the engine and it will start . If I plug the stator harness back in the engine will die.

I need to be able to verify if the STATOR is the problem.I know its function is to keep the battery charged and run the lights.Is it possible that JD has it connected to the start sequence.I plan on calling the local JD dealership this morning.In the meantime,I'm looking for answers from other sources.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hi my friend! Welcome to the forum! I have a newer Toro with a Kohler Courage engine that would not run without a battery connected! We never saw this before. Something new in way tractor is wired. Maybe your power wire from battery to stator is disconnected somehow also?? I wonder if you had a failure that just so happened with the bolt replacement, bad timing on its part?

Reactions: OMoaH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mark....there is no voltage regulator on my LT133

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VICTORIOUS:ThumbUp::party:mow:
I have no idea what I did or what happened.was just checking and rechecking connections and resistance.Slid the deck back under it,jump started it.took a chance and hooked the stator harness up,the engine DID NOT SHUT DOWN.turned the ignition key off,the engine DID SHUT DOWN. tried to start the mower with the key and MAGIC happened.run the throttle up and noted the volts on the battery were at 12.54,let it run full throttle for six or seven minutes and the volts are climbing so I know the stator is working.I'm going to chalk this up to GREMLINS and count my blessings....gotta go mow the yard..WOOT WOOT:2th:

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
:ThumbUp:

Interesting little tidbit of information I read in the shop manual. They use part of the stator winding as an electric brake of sorts during shutdown.

Snip from the shop manual:

The current from the DC side of the stator is
unregulated and is rated at 3 amps. The output rises
from 2 amps at idle to 3 amps at full throttle.
The shunt circuit is used to cause the engine to stop
faster when the engine is shut off. When the key switch
is in the RUN position and the PTO is off and the brake
is on, or the operator is on the seat, the shunt relay is
energized and opens the contacts that connect one
phase of the alternator to ground. This reduces the
load on the alternator to 2-3amps for recharging the
battery and 3-5 amps for illuminating the headlights.
When the ignition is grounded to shut the engine off,
(See "IGNITION & SHUTOFF CIRCUIT OPERATION-
LT133/LT155".) the shunt relay is deenergized. This
allows contact across the normally closed set of
contacts, grounding the alternator. This places a load
on the alternator, which in turn places a load on the
engine. Since the engine ignition system has been
turned off, the engine has no power to turn the extra
load. The result is that the engine stops spinning faster.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Very interesting write up from Mark...Geeez..Those Kohler engineers sure were busy with inventing new ideas..! But, am I missing something? Whats the point..? I beleive they still use carb solenoid for antibackfire...and wonder just how much faster the wind-down is with alternator drag.. ..and Who cares?

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
They show the anti-backfire solenoid in the shop manuals but not all have them for some reason. The CV15 in my LT150 does not have the solenoid yet it shows in the shop manual for it. Maybe they only put them on if the customer had an issue after the fact. Also looking in my LT150 manual some of them had the stator brake and others did not as well.:dunno: I did see a serial number breakdown in the LT150 manual but so far do not see it in the LT133 manual.

Only thing I can figure is since these are manual PTO engagement models, maybe that is the reason. The blade brakes on the deck only operate when shutting the deck off with the lever. So if you have the blades running and get off the seat the blade brakes don't activate. Thus maybe the stator brake was added to get them to meet safety regulations.

I keep saying it over an over again... Why do manufactures have to have so many different versions of the same model?? We run into this all the time on consumer electronics and appliance service. Have to look for product codes, chassis number, etc. to try and order the correct parts. Sometimes I swear the manufactures don't even know what they put in what. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts