My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have and LT1000 917.272673 the front left (passenger) wheel is way out of camber? the top of the wheel leans in towards the tractor. Looking at the way the steering works I'm guessing its normal for the wheel to be prone to more wear. My question is has anyone seen this for sure and know exactly what needs to be replaced? I'm guessing at least the bearings (3366R), anything else? I'm having trouble keeping up with the yard as it is and would be nice to have all the parts I need before I pull it apart. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Which part of the front wheel assembly is real loose when you raise it off the ground? Is the the steering spindle in the axle weldment, or the wheel on the spindle? Looking at the pictures on the parts diagram,
Model # 917272673 | Parts.Sears.com
it's kind of hard to tell, but it looks like the one you mentioned could be plastic and the one in the wheel is bronze maybe. It's possible the spindle itself is worn too, so it might be one or the other, or a combination of them all.

Sorry that might not help much, but you might have to take some things off to see what you need before ordering up a part only to find you didn't need that one after all.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Sounds like your diagnosis of the problem is probably right on track then. You can surely start with the two bearings and once you get it apart, give the spindle and axle weldment a good inspection to see that the spindle shaft and hole in the axle weldment that it pivots in haven't worn as well because the bearings were bad. If they are, you might want to consider if you want to replace them too before installing the new bearings and wearing them out again prematurely. Looks like it should be a pretty simple fix. If you wouldn't mind, maybe do a little write up on the process of replacing the bearings when you get into the job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a chance to dig into this yesterday. I pulled the spindle to inspect all the parts. The lower bearing/bushing had a some frayed edges on the inner most end but the problem was a broken factory weld on the lower half if the weldment. This also caused the upper half to come loose. Being that I'm very cheap I decided to weld instead of replace it. I mowed my 2 acres and was quite rough on the steering to put it to the test. Everything has held up fine so far. If you are going to go this route put a lot of time in to the setup, I had to clamp the weld meant back together an measure that the wheel would be aligned with the spindle being in place. Take your time. Also keep in mind you are very close to the engine, carb, dead grass and lots of grease. You can't clean it all and will have flames on each arc. Be careful. I would also recommend to keep a close eye on the front wheels because these plastic bearing/bushings are very thin, it would be hard to notice if they completely wear out before destroying everything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts