My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Next door neighbor recently got a used Hustler X-One 60 inch cut with the Kawasaki FX850 27hp engine.

It loses engine power (bogging) when you do anything! Sitting still RPM's rev like they should. As soon as you engage handles to move thing forward or back, you can hear the engine start to run lower but will eventually come back up (about 5 seconds). When blades are engaged while sitting still, there's a drop in RPMs but it too will come back up (about 5 seconds). The problem is when moving and mowing RPMs drop so low that to keep the thing from dying you have to mow 1 MPH. This is thin hill country grass that is already cut short.

Help!
Things I've done. Checked carb....all jets/ports clean. New fuel filter. Unscrewed gas cap while running, removed all air filters while running. Made sure both cylinders are firing/running. Oil level good. Hydraulic fluid good. Blew air in fuel lines to dislodge any debris in the tanks, Jacked it up, no obstruction. Removed deck belt, all three spindles spin smoothly without any wobble.
MY NEXT COURSE OF ACTION (which I read on this site) is to go to half choke when its bogging to determine if it is a fuel issue or not. Anything else anyone can think of?

Tango sends....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went to half choke while it started to bog....no change. He bought a new fuel pump anyway and we installed it....still no change. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Can a partial clog in the hydraulic system cause this bogging?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Tango, For me the Kawasaki/Mikuni combo has been frustrating to say the least. On JD products they incorporate so much electronics to accomplish spark it's hard to tell what to test first. Your comment that 1/2 choke made no difference reminded me of hours of troubleshooting my FD501. They use a bracket that has all the choke throttle and governor attached to one on JD. It is easily jammed or out of alignment. Perhaps the same is true on your application and the choke is hanging around blocking air when it shouldn't be? I've had a Mikuni carb with remote vent hose plugged with debri and would not run full throttle. The air intake side jets on either side of the carb body get plugged. Other things I've seen are the wire to the fuel anti-afterfire solenoid getting chaffed and not getting full 12 volts to stay open. They usually route the 12volt supply wire to those as close as possible to all the sharp edges and heat points for some reason:tango_face_grin:. Other things I would check on a neighbors machine would be voltage regulator output at idle through full throttle. I have seen some of the z-turns have grime in the safety switches for the handles where they go from swung out for park/stop, to swung in for lets go mow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Final OUTCOME (I Hope).

First off, this big Kawasaki engine had to be installed sideways (in my opinion) to fit on this Hustler Frame. One spark plug is behind the seat, the other at back of mower. With engine running and hot I pulled the back spark plug wire off and the engine died. Just to make sure, I put spark plug wire back on and restarted it. Then pulled wire off the one behind the seat, it continued to run. Hoping it was the magneto/coil which I read about on the internet, I replaced it with a new one. It died again when I pulled that back spark plug wire off. ****. Pulled compression tester out. 100 PSI on back cylinder, ZERO on cylinder behind the seat. Pulled OHV cover off and a valve spring was broke. New springs and keeper ordered and hopefully this case is CLOSED!

Tango sends....

Reactions: Grunt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Final OUTCOME (I Hope).

First off, this big Kawasaki engine had to be installed sideways (in my opinion) to fit on this Hustler Frame. One spark plug is behind the seat, the other at back of mower. With engine running and hot I pulled the back spark plug wire off and the engine died. Just to make sure, I put spark plug wire back on and restarted it. Then pulled wire off the one behind the seat, it continued to run. Hoping it was the magneto/coil which I read about on the internet, I replaced it with a new one. It died again when I pulled that back spark plug wire off. ****. Pulled compression tester out. 100 PSI on back cylinder, ZERO on cylinder behind the seat. Pulled OHV cover off and a valve spring was broke. New springs and keeper ordered and hopefully this case is CLOSED!

Tango sends....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts