My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Girls,

Have you ever experienced loose shaft and socket areas on the ends of a motor shaft.

I have a loosened fit where my Briggs motor meets the clutch assembly that, at first, made the motor sound like it had problems. I now know that it is due to loosened key-way and clutch socket areas. Have you all experienced this and if so, how did you "fill it".

I wish that the fine thread 3/8th X 24 thread mounting bolt had more clamping force but it doesn't.

The Snapper clutch assembly is no longer made, and so I'm not going to be buying a new BBC assembly for my self propelled walk-behind.

Thanks,

QR

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
loose fit

The loose fit can be filled with Locktite according my machinist buddy, I may just give it a whirl.

QR

·
Registered
480 Posts
Short of cutting new key ways I'm with Mark on this one. Hand fitting a custom key should do it.
This is the same problem that Gravelys used to have when they ran straight axles with keys for the hubs. They were failing left and right. Their answer at first was to put a set screw over the key which worked quite well but set screws would loosen up over time and owners would neglect to tighten them back down and the keys and key ways would woller out again. If you custom fit a key or go with the loc-tite solution I'd look into the possibility of adding a set screw to hold things tight and add tightening it to your annual PM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts