My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor has an old riding mower I'm trying to fix for him. I took the gear box apart and found what appears to be a clutch collar broke in half. I cannot find what kind of rider it is. Here is everything I can find on the machine. On the body, under the seat is Model# 139-465-084 C309D. Serial# 41-010-9485. On the engine is Model# 190707, Type 1128-01, Code 78092710. On the transmission casing reads MTD. On the engine cowling is Turf King 8/34. There is no indication of manufacturer or date of manufacture. I'm at a loss and hoping someone here can give some guidance. Thanks. :help:

·
Administrator
6,270 Posts
Welcome to the forum smusaf60! :)

So far I'm not having any luck. I think Turf King was sort of a generic name used that could be more then one manufacture. Any idea how old it is?

Also a photo might help us figure out the manufacture.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks like MTD is the key there. Here is a listing from wikipedia:

MTD Products - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Under the private brands, Turf King is one that is listed. A search through
google also turns up that Turf King is what the Fred Meyer stores named
their mowers. Thought I recognized that name from somewhere....believe I must have seen it when browsing through some Fred Meyer ads up in the Pacific Northwest a year ago. :)

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
This list on Parts Tree is getting in the neighborhood of your serial number. Though not yours specifically, it seems there's a lot of them with the 139 prefix that share the same transmission on here. Take a look, maybe you'll recognize one.

Lawn Mower Parts, Small Engine Parts & Much More! | PartsTree.com - Briggs, MTD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Troy-bilt...

Using what ToroWhirlwind found on the Turf King name, there is this model 39-612-084, Lawn Tractor (1989) (Fred Meyer)

Parts and Diagrams for MTD 139-612-084 (1989)

Here's another thing you might try. MTD has been very helpful to me in locating information on a couple of their non-current machines that I worked on in the past.

You might try dropping them an email with the numbers you have.

<link rel="stylesheet" href

Hope that helps, let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From my research, I was able to find it is a 1979 model. My neighbor thought it was a Montgomery Ward brand but finding that part is gonna be a real problem. I'm hoping to find a lawn mower boneyard somewhere. I'm having issues downloading a photo from my phone but I'll keep working on it. Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Thanks for the update, we'll be waiting patiently for them photos :) Your lawn mower boneyard may be as simple as the local mower shop. A lot of them have have a small parts yard out back some where behind the shop. Thats where I find some of my gems...:bag:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.