My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Beefy little bulldog. What year is that, Bruce?
I think it's @ an 82 +- It's actually an 820A on the tag but the decal says 820 so I think it's an early "A" before the decal changed. I could be way off too.. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Well, I'll go with our two favorites.
My John Deere 180

After!

Here is my dad's favorite. The "Jacob" John Deere STX 38 rebuilt from a pile of parts!

After

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice machines guys!

This was my 1989 JD STX38. It was bought new by my Dad's parents and used by them for many years on a piece of property that was better suited for a CUT. It eventually had some problems and was then left outside to sit for a few years and the tires began to rot into the ground. I had expressed quite a bit of interest in it after they parked it so they finally gave it to me as a Christmas present one year; I think I was around 14 or so when I got it and remember opening the thick card and finding a JD key in it. It was truly a dream come true because I was never able to convince my parents that our family needed a riding mower. My Dad and I fixed it up and got it running again, it needed a new PTO, belts, switches replaced and the steering freed up because it was nearly seized. The deck was in pretty sad shape along with some areas the body pan including a large dent in the rear because it had been backed into once with a truck. Because neither of us weld, my Dad fiber glassed the bad spots on the deck.

This worked for a few years until one day while I was mowing with it one of the spindles broke through the deck. I replaced the deck with another that was solid, stripped the paint and POR 15'd the entire thing and repainted it. I recently sold it last year to buy the Economy. It was a good machine that I have some good memories from and am sure that I will wish that I hadn't sold but right now I don't really miss it to be honest.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Your STX was sweet! Same thing dad says, he liked how nice his came out!
Austen, got one here for you to restore!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here are a few pictures of the two machines I currently have:

First is a 14SB. This was an estate/garage sale find for a whopping $50 (OK, I'll be completely honest and tell you it was marked $75 and I offered $50 just to see what would happen). This one came off the line at Deere in 1993/1994. Did a little cosmetic cleanup on it and replaced the wheels. Also managed to track down a new-old-stock engine stripe for the front of the Kawasaki FC150V engine and think that I may have gotten about the last one of these still available in the country (the old stripe had been damaged at the corners). So here is how it currently sits:

My other mower is a 14PZ that was actually a gift from a former co-worker. He took impeccable care of it and had replaced it with with a self-propelled Honda a few years ago. When he learned of my interest in John Deere silver deck mowers, he offered to give me his "old" mower for parts. Once I saw it, I quickly realized that to use it for a parts machine would be a crime against humanity. This mower has a production date code of 01/25/97 and is the closest thing to a "new" condition silver deck that I've even seen. It runs like a top and cuts the grass incredibly well.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I think those are the cleanest P's that I've ever seen! Wow! They'll last you a very long time with that kind of care. :ThumbUp:

Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
552 Posts
The JD's I have currently, I've been selling off the ones I don't use regularly. The 1953-40 Standard, 2004-790, 80-314, 70-70 I, 2000-F725 & the 07-TS Gator.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice fleet. :2th: I like the 40.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice fleet. :2th: I like the 40.
Thanks! I grew up on John Deere tractors in the 1950's & 60's & have wanted a 40S since having an "MT" that we used as a "saddle horse" when my dad bought the farm we have now. I found this one on CL north of Kansas City last fall, only "Standard" I've seen in person. Picture below was taken the day we brought it.

Attachments

Reactions: BOSOX
1 - 20 of 22 Posts