My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have A leak on a seam. its " long and looks like a sealer had been used post operation for years This tank holds a gallon maybe. do you have any suggestions on this leak, a fella close by said jb weld. I am at A loss on this; If i buy a quart of sealer i could have bought another tank.which is $60.00 bob s thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have A leak on a seam. its "Whats long, and looks like a sealer, had been us in the past.This tank holds a gallon maybe. Do you have any suggestions on this leak, a fella close by said jb weld. I am at A loss on this; If i buy a quart of sealer i could have bought another tank.which is $76.00 bob s thank you:dunno:
maybe a new tank is in order right now. The tank is old but in great shape other than the leak

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Bob,

Have you ever used (or tried) Kreem fuel tank sealer?? It's not cheap but the few times I've used it I've had excellent results. They were motorcycle gas tanks and I had to seal them before I did the body and paint work on them.

I would use this before I would trust J.B. Weld -

----> Amazon.com: kreem fuel tank liner

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob,

Have you ever used (or tried) Kreem fuel tank sealer?? It's not cheap but the few times I've used it I've had excellent results. They were motorcycle gas tanks and I had to seal them before I did the body and paint work on them.

I would use this before I would trust J.B. Weld -

----> Amazon.com: kreem fuel tank liner
problem is this tank is $76.00 and sealer is no less than $40.00. And most of it will dry up from non use.I just need A quart or a Pint even.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I've had mixed results with JB weld. I had a seam that seeped a little from a small dent on my snowblower that I used it on and it has held for probably 10 years or more. I put it on a stress crack on a tank on my old tiller twice now and it only lasted about a year both times before leaking again. The second time around on the tiller I made sure to clean the surface really well and even rough it up a bit thinking that would help but it still did not hold for long.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had mixed results with JB weld. I had a seam that seeped a little from a small dent on my snowblower that I used it on and it has held for probably 10 years or more. I put it on a stress crack on a tank on my old tiller twice now and it only lasted about a year both times before leaking again. The second time around on the tiller I made sure to clean the surface really well and even rough it up a bit thinking that would help but it still did not hold for long.
I went down and got some of that epoxy clay like stuff ...you kneed it good wire brush the offending seam. dried harder than A rock, it cost me $5.00 in the process. Though,... i messed up the governor, and now the motor is in the shop.BUT that seam is repaired ..or is it just fixed? Anyway!!... i should have left the tank on the motor and cleaned up the tank seam. i turned An easy job into A hard one .
thank you for the good suggestion mark bob s very pleased

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
try the pic again. I didn't use 1/4th of the product to seal the small tank.
I have been having fits getting a seal around new fuel lines into the plastic tank on my string trimmer. I wonder if that stuff would bond with the plastic to seal round them? I would only need about a tablespoon of it.

Kind of like tire bead sealer. Smallest I could find was a quart. All I needed it for was a couple small tires. Can should last me 20 years if I can keep it from solidifying into a solid block of rubber before the next time I need it. :ROFL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been having fits getting a seal around new fuel lines into the plastic tank on my string trimmer. I wonder if that stuff would bond with the plastic to seal round them? I would only need about a tablespoon of it.

Kind of like tire bead sealer. Smallest I could find was a quart. All I needed it for was a couple small tires. Can should last me 20 years if I can keep it from solidifying into a solid block of rubber before the next time I need it. :ROFL
thats generaly what happens to me, buy baseball diamond; to get A baseball.i got the this stop leak stuff from Advane auto parts supposed to work on plastic too. I used About A thimble full ,but this stuff is going to work good other places too. Very very happy with the results btw- i broke the rope pull mech;; Well the shop that did the repair did it,And i finally got the choke working and the engine idling great . So the guy who fixed it Says hey bob! that motor needs some internals gone thru, i just turned to him And said; I only run this motor two weeks ayear and thats about 6 hours total. When it blows up i'll be in the ground anyway heh heh:sidelaugh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts