My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! I have been meaning to post pictures of the first repair of the Lawnboy side bag plastic hanger for a while so I finally got around to it. Sometimes the bag is still useable but the plastic hanger breaks after many years of use. I had some 14 gauge steel left over from a previous project, although you could probably go to your local welding shop and find some scrap in their throw away bin to use, so the cost of the repair should be minimal. I traced the outline of the plastic hanger and then cut it out with a saber saw. I only made one opening in the metal for the rod as it was easier than cutting three holes. Depending on which hole you have been using you could make the hole there but I chose to make it in the tightest spot. I drilled holes in the corners of the cutout and then used the saber saw again to cut out the opening. I filed down all the rough edges and primed and painted the repair piece black. I then clamped it in place and drilled 1/8" holes for the pop rivets which were backed up with 1/8" washers. The nice thing about this repair is it can be reused by drilling out the pop rivets and reinstalling on another bag which I have done three times now.

Hi Guys! Well my wife and I were mowing a couple of lawns today and both plastic hangers on the side bags developed cracks. We made it through both lawns without the hanger breaking completely so I decided to try to repair them. I was out of the 14 gauge steel that I used on the first repair so in my search in the garage loft I found some 3/4 x 3/4 steel angle stock and formulated a plan. I cut the steel to length and then bent it in the vice into a U shape over a drill bit as viewed from the end. Slipped it over the top of the plastic hanger and pounded it tight with a hammer. Then I drilled 4 holes through the metal and plastic and installed some pop rivets. Threw on a quick coat of black paint (sorry for the lousy paint job) and I was back in business. I always enjoy taking something that is not repairable and repairing it so that it can continue to function as intended. Here are some pictures. The first 2 are the previous repair and the last one is the repair used on the two bags today. Bill

Attachments

Reactions: bwdbrn1 and Austen

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Nice fix Bill. Like you said, it's always great to keep things usable. It does kind of makes you wonder why there wasn't a bit of metal in the first place.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Great fix Bill, When I've had mine crack I've always just repaired them with superglue and they have always worked great (Have one going on 5 years strong) But that seems like a much more durable fix honestly.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Side Bag Hanger Repair

I am surprised that Super Glue would hold up under mowing conditions for that long. I guess whatever works!! Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts