My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have a few questions for you about my 8241AE I recently picked up. I know they are pretty well straight forward and mechanically I can repair, but simple electric circuits can puzzle me like the riddle of the Sphinx.

To start off with I know the starter is good. I removed and tested it today and it has a lot of torque. I also know the battery has cells that need to be replaced, but I figured I could take apart the primer/starter switch housing and jump it from there with my jump pack. I will worry about the battery pack later on when everything else is up and working. :ThumbUp:

I did just that today, and all I got was a small "click" from somewhere close to the engine. I am assuming it is the starter relay, but no start. Is the relay bad or am I going to have to get the tester and start testing the harness? If that's the case, I may just buy another one to save myself some bandwidth and headaches. :howdy:Any suggestions?????

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
you can try shorting the starter solenoid, this video explains it all.

by the way, has anybody else heard of lynols office and moldymac? they used to be very popular on youtube, and had about 90 tractors at one point, there even in ct where im from(not the town, i mean the state)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry guy, but this doesn't have a solenoid. Its a Lawnboy self propelled walk behind with electric start. The only things it has is an ignition switch, wiring harness, relay and starter. No provision for a pull start although I know there are two work arounds but I want to keep it stock.

I am assuming the relay acts as the solenoid but really don't have a clue.

When I get the answer to that question, I will have this thing back together and running like new. :2th:

·
Registered
507 Posts
you can try shorting the starter solenoid, this video explains it all.

by the way, has anybody else heard of lynols office and moldymac? they used to be very popular on youtube, and had about 90 tractors at one point, there even in ct where im from(not the town, i mean the state)
Their videos are what sparked my interest in the field. Still watch their videos again and again to this day.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I personally own one of these lawn mowers, I think the idea of it not having a pull start is completely and utterly stupid.. But anyway..

The issue is most likely the starter motor is seized.. That's what was wrong with mine when I got it.. You simply have to remove the starter motor and break it free..It's usually just stuck from rust/moisture etc.

-Stan

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
i like having a backup pull starter even if i do have an electric starter. i never really saw the need for electric starters because if you maintain an engine they start within three pulls anyways, unless you have a bad back or other condition, i see no reason to have on

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The major reason I want to keep the electric start is for my GF. They are easy enough to pull start, but if you have short arms they can be a little obnoxious. I have no trouble, but she does.

Even with the low compression 3.5hp Briggs she has trouble. I figure with an electric start she cant go wrong if she wants to trim and I am not around. (Sometimes she has a habit of making a pass and then letting go of the handle to move something and then cant get it started again. Of course I am called from the other side of the property to pull it one time.......then back again five minutes later....and again...and again....) :dunno:

I get my exercise that way, but would love to get something done while she is doing HER thing and not have to stop every five to ten minutes just to start the mower. :2th:

·
Registered
730 Posts
The relay could be trying..maybe burnt contacts..OR, your jump pack is very weak, and not enuf power, based on your orig battery being bad also...can you try jumping in another battery..keeping your battery totally disconnected ? [safe to assume the engine is free moving, not stuck]...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It may be a while before I can post and let you know my findings. Not only is it too hot for me, but my friend gave me some cabinets that I intend to put up in the shed to get stuff off of the floor...but they took up the space I had cleared out to work.

So in order to have room to work, I have to install the cabinets so the floor is clear...then put up the chemicals and parts in the cabinets....then clear off the workbench again....then work on the starting system.

For once I would like to be able to finish one project without moving on to another one that gets in the way of the first. :banghead:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I managed to jump start it the other day and it ran like a champ. Quiet too, and that was on the workbench closer to ear level. Today? NOTHING! :banghead:I jumped it directly at the starter like the other day and no spark at the coil at all. :dunno:

With a new relay and fully charged jump pack, the relay still just clicks. Jump to the starter and it spins but now no spark. I am thinking of pulling off the entire wiring harness and redoing it with fresh wires and connectors. Its not like I don't have others to mow with. I have been thinking of pulling and testing the plunger switch. That may have gone out

I have to get this thing to start properly. I already ordered the battery for it and it will be here Tuesday so there is no turning back.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Cappy! I just bought one and will be here next Tuesday.
I just had an "Ah-ha" moment. I tested the coil and didn't even remember doing it. I pulled the leads off of the coil (First one, then the other, then both). Then I reset the gap and retested and the coil still didn't work so it is definitely bad. Shame on me!!!!! :bag:

It looked like Frankenstien's lab on the workbench today. I had the two leads to the key exposed for power, spark tester inline with the spark plug, volt meter on the relay switch and jumpers to relay.....what a mess. Still has me befuddled. Good thing I like a challenge, and trust me, this thing is a challenge for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: Its alive!!!

So....I was talking on the phone with my brother about the electrical system on the 8241AE. He suggested tests I already did, so I know all was good. We couldn't figure out why the starter was only getting 1.2 Volts and all was good everywhere else.

I then had an epiphany. :idea: I went out and reconnected the key switch, then put the jump pack to where the battery is to be connected, turned on the pack and hit the key.....and it cranked! Still no spark, but it cranked.

I went back and reset the coil gap for the fourth time and put the spark tester on it.....BOOM! Now I have REALLY good spark! I sprayed a little shot of carb cleaner into the carb hole since the carb is off being cleaned. I hit the key and it started and ran!!!!! :2th:

Now I am waiting for the battery to come tomorrow. I will charge it and see if it will crank and run with a replacement battery. I was so involved I never realized I may have to have the battery in place even if dead to complete the electrical circuit to all the little bits. Now I know.

I cant wait for my girlfriend to go out and hit the key and :mow: . Other than that, I feel like having a party!!!! :party:party:party:party

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the party is put on hold. I MUST have a bad coil.
I buttoned it up today with the new battery pack, put fuel in it and took it outside to fire it up. It cranked but no start. :dunno::soap:

I put the tester on it again and checked for spark, but there was none. I know the coil didn't move. It was torqued down rather well.

Oh well. At least the starter works and a new coil is coming by Thursday. I will do another party or rant then. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was correct this time. It WAS a bad coil. I replaced it with one Cap suggested and it runs like a champ.

Now I have to make an adjustment. It seems the flywheel brake doesn't.....brake, that is. Now I got it started and it wont stop, so a simple (we will see) adjustment is all that should be needed. I will make a small vid of it later when I get it adjusted so it will stop. Not that its all that special, but Im rather proud of it. :ThumbUp: I had to pull the coil wire so it would stop. Even the fuel shutoff didn't keep it from sucking fuel in. :dunno:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I saw that one last night Cap. Doesn't apply to me this time.
Since the cable is new, I know for a fact I have it adjusted too tight and the plunger button isn't letting off either.

A few turns of the adjuster and it will be fine. Will do tomorrow and all will be well...I hope. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts