My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a couple years ago about this mower, and got some really good help about a relatively small issue that I just couldn't fix because I'm not used to fixing lawnmowers. However, since it's broken (again) and I don't have the money to fix it, I get to try again. To be honest, if I had the tools and a place to work (not to mention the time), I wouldn't mind. But without those, it's frustrating, right?

Anyway, if I can remember everything that may be of importance - the mower has been running all summer, but it's been harder and harder to start. Also, quite a bit of smoke at times, which I chalked up to putting in too much oil (assuming that "running rich" is too much oil, not too much gas). I often don't get around to cutting my grass until it's too long, so I'll adjust the wheels to 5 or 6, instead of the "usual" 3. When it sputters, I lift up the front, thinking there is grass caught underneath, and it runs fine for a while again.

After the poor thing stopped working, I looked at what little I could - maybe the tube to the primer button had worked loose, I thought, since I couldn't really hear gas flowing through when I pushed it. I took out the air filter and cleaned it - ick! Not only did it have old dandelion fluff in it, but it had two holes. I cleaned it, dried it 24+ hours, put it back (the store wasn't open to go get another one). I see online that, of course, I really do need a new filter or something (carburetor?) can get damaged. So I'll do that tomorrow. Something I read said to put gas or oil in the filter - I would assume just a little, and you squeeze it out?

One thing I saw online (not 100% sure it was this same mower, but could still apply), the poster said he had leaf debris in...um, something. Not the gas tank, I would have remembered that. And it would get sucked down and plug up the hole. And if he tilted the mower, the leaf would move away from the hole. I don't think I'll be that lucky, but wouldn't it be nice?

Part of my research on this was on this site and My Tractor Forum, so I know there are posts (and responses) similar to mine, I just don't know enough to know which might be more likely to be the right answer for me.

Oh, and the lever/switch/whatever that you move when you're first starting the mower, then move it to "run" (I believe) is looser and looser, and usually moves back to the starting position, so when the mower was working, I would have to bend down several times per mowing session to put it back to a higher speed.

Thanks for any help. I will probably read as soon as I get answers, but probably won't be able to look at the mower again until mid-week.

Janice

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Well, you should definitely wait to get a new filter before starting it again. Not only could running it without a good filter clog the carburetor, it could cause serious engine damage/wear. The lever that you mentioned is the choke lever. When you move it to "start" it closes the choke and richens the air/fuel mixture, which makes the engine easier to start. If it flips to choke while the engine is running, it would enrichen the mixture and cause the mower to run rough. Since it's a two-stroke, and has the oil mixed in the gas having this happen all the time could cause a build-up of oil in the engine. I'm not familiar with this particular mower, so I can't help you on exactly how to adjust the linkage, but I can say that it might be the culprit. I'm sure there'll be a Lawn Boy freak along shortly to help you on the linkage.:2th:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Lawnboy freaks unite! :) I tell you, I am absolutely sold on the off-set front tires - our yard is *way* too bumpy, these are a life-saver. Or a lawnmower-saver!

I will get an air filter before I try again. Okay, so running "rich" is air/fuel. I thought it was the oil/gas. Thanks for the info.

I found a video on youtube that shows really well how to remove the carburetor and clean it. Looks easy enough. Maybe I was worried for nothing!

And I'll look more into the linkage - part of it is, when you don't know what to look for, you can't find it.

Thanks!

Janice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts