My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone here have a Lawnboy 5254 with the F engine? My uncle will be giving me his. I believe it's a 1988 model. He seized the engine by running it on straight gas. Can I possibly save this engine? It rotates but is extremely tight. If I fill the cylinder with kerosene or marvel mystery oil, I hope I can possibly unseize it. I also told him I have a short block for it, but it's such a cool little mower that I may not want to give him it back since I'd be putting my good low hour 1994 F short block on it. I have always wanted a 19'' model with F engine. I will be picking the 5254 up in a few weeks. It's going to need some work. The paint is chipped on it, so I don't know if I will paint it. It has some character for sure.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts

My buddy just south of town picked up a 1986 model 5254 for me at their city wide yard sale for $5.00. I used the Walbro carb with the cold enhance primer kit to convert my plastic carb 1996 model 10401 that wouldn't stop surging. Now it is running great. The 5254 had a like new set of triangle wheels that I saved as well. Parted out all the rest and cleaned everything up and put it away for future use. The decks on those were notorious for peeling paint. You could strip the deck and prime with an etching primer and shoot a couple of coats of Grabber Green and make it look pretty nice. As far as the engine goes I would think that if you can get the piston out there will probably not be much damage. Clean the cylinder liner with some Muratic Acid if there is aluminum stuck on there which will remove any aluminum transfer, hone the cylinder, install a new set of rings, and you should be good to go. Keep us posted and let us know how things go. Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts