My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 months ago my stock coil finally went out. I replaced the could with a aftermarket Amazon part. The mower would start rough and smoke a lot until 3-5 minutes of cutting the grass. It ran great after the intial warmup phase.

Last week I noticed the carb was wet with gas on the outside and was flooding the engine. That was causing it to run rough at first then clean up. Instead of a rebuild I opted for a new carb off Amazon. It now surges with the new carb.

The carb is an aftermarket setup I believe bit I'm not sure that is my only issue.

Carb:

Coil:

Video running:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Disclaimer!! Lawnboy lover but not the Duraforce. Sorry. When Lawnboy built the Duraforce it had to comply with stricter EPA standards so it was built to run on the lean edge. There have been many threads written about the dreaded Durasurge and how to cure it. These mowers did run okay from the start when they were new otherwise there would have been massive recalls. However with time come varnish buildup and passages get partially blocked and the surge begins. Usually a thorough cleaning will suffice however many have posted on how to drill out the idle jet and the main jet. While this may work it can cause excessive fuel consumption. Anyway back to your issues. Regarding the coil. I have used an aftermarket coil on a friends Duraforce and it worked okay however the reliability and engineering on these can be suspect. If yours is working okay then count yourself in the group that lucked out and got a good one. I am not familiar with the aftermarket carbs for the Duraforce. Assuming the carb is not the surging issue, usually the dreaded lean surge is caused by a dirty carb or an air leak. Since the carb is new I would guess we could rule out a warped mounting flange but just look everything over good to be sure nothing is out of place such as one of the gaskets when the carb was installed. Some have said to spray a little carb cleaned around the carb while it's running to see if the engine changes indicating a leak. Not sure what size the jets are on a stock Duraforce but search that and compare it to what came in the new carb to be sure everything is correct. I will assume that nothing is wrong with the governor spring but look it over as well to be sure it didn't get bent up or stretched out when installing the carb. Good luck. Hopefully you will get this figured out. When tuned correctly the Duraforce is a beast. Again, welcome.
Bill

Reactions: Lawn boy 2006
1 - 2 of 2 Posts