My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about about buying a lawn sweeper. Its the kind you pull behind your mower, as the wheels on the sweeper turn it spins a brush which in turn throws your grass clippings into a catch. My question is how well do these things work? The one i am looking at is $300 and I don't want to spend the money if its a waste of my time and money...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have been putting one to work this season for the first time, so in terms of figuring out good one is, I may or may not have a relevant opinion.

The biggest challenge I have had is figuring out how to set the brush depth. If I set it deep enough to really pick up grass, it tends to "dig in" and drag without rolling themselves and, of course, the sweeper brushes don't rotate. If I raise it enough that the wheels don't drag, it leaves more grass and I have to make a second, third, or even fourth pass across the area to really pick it all up.

Of course, this is in the yard at our second home, one that I had not mowed in about ten days, and the grass was high and thick, so lots to pick up. I have found it best to let the grass dry in the sun a few hours before coming back to sweep, just like a farmer waits for cut hay to dry before tethering and baling!

If the grass is dry or small enough, I like the idea of an offset sweeper. Some come with off set tongues on them. I set out to make my own.

Link to Instructable, pretty simple design.

Again, this may work later in the day in dryer grass, but I found that green, fresh cut grass doesn't sweep all that well, so I went back to separate passes.

Some varieties of grass may sweep better than others, but the combination of bahia, centipede, bermuda, St Augustine, and a few other weeds mixed in are a little challenging to deal with for me, but I sure like the way it looks when I am done!

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chobbs1957
Thanks for the information that's exactly what I was looking at buying. I have about 5 acres that usually tends to get away from me so I'm left with clumps of grass that drives me crazy and its just too much to rake by hand. Not exactly sure what my grass is, it has a mixture of fescue and clover along with all kinds of weeds. I just call it field grass. My concern with the sweeper is if it would actually sweep up these thick clumps of grass. They are heavy and thick enough that it tends to kill the grass underneath where the clumps are. Like you said I would definitely have to let it dry out a day or so. I did see the other day a windrow rake for a garden tractor, didn't know they even made them. If they just made small hay balers for garden tractors i would be set...

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
How about trying to get more even clipping dispersal? Like, adjustment of the discharge chute.

See attached photo (I Am not instructing removal or modification of safety devices or guards.. Please don't remove my post)

-Stan

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought a 42 inch Agri-Fab of Craigslist last week for $70. Craigslist 42" Sweeper - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
I was using my old Deere with bagger but it was filling up a lot and I hate to empty it. I used it last week to go over the wind rows and it did not pick up every blade but did get enough that they are not visable. I emptied the double bagger 4 times and the sweeper once so it's a lot less work. From the driveway I can't tell the difference.
Cannon

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I have an Agrifab too. I use mulch kit year round and if it gets too tall I tow the sweeper while mowing to pickup the excess. Really works pretty good and do not have to empty as often since the clippings are finer from the mulching. I do the same for the leaves in the fall.

I don't know if you want to wait too long for it to dry as the clippings tend to settle lower in the grass the longer they lay there which makes it harder to get them swept back up. I too have to play with the height setting. On uneven ground you have to set it a shade higher then on level ground to keep from digging into the ground with it on the bumps and hills.

It's also easier to sweep thick grass compared to thin grass as the blades hold the clippings up higher making them easier for the brush to grab.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I was just given one yesterday. Tried it on wet grass and seems to work. I will let you know how it works!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts