My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lawn Boy Silver Pro, I believe a 2002 model 10324. I bought at a garage sale, it would not start, I found no spark, so I replaced the ignition coil. The mower started and ran, al little rough, but cut grass with it. On second attempt to use it spewed gas& oil mix out of muffler. So I thought carb was bad. I replaced 2 jets and needle valve and put in a new air vane and spring ( which I had broken). Mower now starts and runs, but only an idle, I can reach in with a screw driver and push on the air vane and engine speeds up and runs smooth and strong, but nothing happens when throttle lever is moved. It does choke carb when lever is pushed all the way to choke position. Does anyone have and idea how I can make this thing run at a speed I can cut grass with it? Thanks

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
There is a small spring underneath the air vane which connects to the throttle plate assy.. it sounds like this spring isn't connected..

I can take a picture of my own 10247 mower with the same carburetor/engine if you are still needing help.

-Stan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Stan. I put a new spring in along with a new air vane. I connected the hook on spring to a small loop on a plastic piece, which is where I removed old one from. I don't seem to see or understand how the throttle lever works ,seems like nothing happens till it gets to end when it turns the throttle plate and chokes

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Okay, I know what the problem is.

Underneath the air vane, There will be a wheel with little ridges.. This is the Speed adjustment wheel.. When you turn it, It will click incrementally to increase/decrease the speed..

Turn this wheel clockwise until the speed is at the desired setting.

-Stan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Stan, I know which part you're talking about. I will try that out tomorrow. Thanks for the help and reply!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Adding on to what Kori said, if that doesnt affect the speed at all, the spring on the adjustment may have come unhooked, I had to fix this on an 80's Scamp last spring, but I don't remember how I hooked it back up. I think I just turned the wheel until the spring grabbed

Reactions: Roadcall

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Adding on to what Kori said, if that doesnt affect the speed at all, the spring on the adjustment may have come unhooked, I had to fix this on an 80's Scamp last spring, but I don't remember how I hooked it back up. I think I just turned the wheel until the spring grabbed
It's a little bit more tricky on a DuraForce engine Vortec, You actually have to stretch the spring out to hook it onto the Throttle actuator arm coming from the Choke slide (Technical terms?) rather than just hook it on a little loop.

-Stan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Love that blue smoke!

Hey Stan, I turned that throttle wheel like you said and she started right up and engine speed is now controlled by throttle lever. I gave it about a dozen clicks. Runs pretty smooth, some surging. I was mixing a cheaper brand od 2 cycle oil. I went out and got some Lawn Boy 2cycle oil hopefully that will smooth her out a bit. I have spent about $125 for parts and purchase price. Not bad for a real Lawn Boy self propelled mower. Thanks much for your help!:ThumbUp:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
No problem my friend!

The best oil is Echo "PowerBlend" It's sold at Home depot and will make your Lawn-Boy Run Smoke free and much better than even the Lawn-Boy stuff..

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting frustrated

Ok guys I'm back with more problems on this LawnBoy Silver Pro. I gave it to my daughter and she used it to cut her neighbors yard and her own front yard. Ran ok she said, then she went around back to do it and it started stalling out. She called me and I went over and tried it out. It was surging up and down and stalling, one push on primer and starts right up and runs a minute or so and stalls , over and over again . I brought it home and let it sit and cool off for an hour or two. Started it up and went in back to cut my yard, it was surging, but ran several minutes then stalled. I took gas cap off and poked a wire through vent hole, and it ran several more minutes and stalled. Then I took the air filter out, same result, stalled after 5to 7 minutes. Anyone got and idea?

·
Banned
47 Posts
The best oil is Echo "PowerBlend" will make your Lawn-Boy Run Smoke free and much better than even the Lawn-Boy stuff..
That is a opinion, not fact! The best oil for a Lawn Boy is Lawn Boy oil. Lawn Boy mowers smoke that is how they were designed. You really do not like lawn Boy mowers then. Should probably stick to a 4-cycle engines.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
That is a opinion, not fact! The best oil for a Lawn Boy is Lawn Boy oil. Lawn Boy mowers smoke that is how they were designed. You really do not like lawn Boy mowers then. Should probably stick to a 4-cycle engines.
Lawn-Boy oil is, In fact not made by Lawn-Boy anymore.. The modern Lawn-Boy oil is very cheap, Generic Fossil garbage.. That will cause your engine to run rough, Smoke excessively, and clog Exhaust ports/mufflers in record time..

It also has large amounts of fillers and cheep additives which can damage seals, gaskets and diaphragms.

I've said my piece. :soap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts