My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought we could put a thread with pictures w/ model numbers of Lawn boys. To help people to ID their Lawn-Boys.

Here are the ones I have.

R7268

R7268 Side view

8229B

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looking good, I might have to get a lawn boy some day.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Here is my 1987 model '8157':

And here is my 1999 model '10330', when originally found, and after cleanup and its engine transplant:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is my 1987 model '8157':

And here is my 1999 model '10330', when originally found, and after cleanup and its engine transplant:

Wow that LB looks sharp with that Honda! What was the matter with the original engine if I may ask?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
The original engine was really ragged out. It really overspeeded and ran hot. Something was obviously wrong with it. Plus, I had the Honda engine sitting in the shed for use on something. Just didn't really have a use for it at the time (I gave the good Craftsman deck to a friend who really needed one with a good transmission). I found the Lawn-Boy and figured it'd be a good Honda swap. I didn't even have to change a cable. The belt pulley is just a bit narrower on the Honda's crank than the Lawn-Boy belt really wants, but it works just fine still. That's a really neat mower, and dead quiet, too. I love it.

·
Administrator
393 Posts
Very nice! I will start similar threads in the other forums. Its always good to have a visual archive. Thanks for starting the ball rolling!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice! I will start similar threads in the other forums. Its always good to have a visual archive. Thanks for starting the ball rolling!
No problem! :D I just thought it would help people ID their mowers! :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The original engine was really ragged out. It really overspeeded and ran hot. Something was obviously wrong with it. Plus, I had the Honda engine sitting in the shed for use on something. Just didn't really have a use for it at the time (I gave the good Craftsman deck to a friend who really needed one with a good transmission). I found the Lawn-Boy and figured it'd be a good Honda swap. I didn't even have to change a cable. The belt pulley is just a bit narrower on the Honda's crank than the Lawn-Boy belt really wants, but it works just fine still. That's a really neat mower, and dead quiet, too. I love it.
You did a good job! All you would have to do is paint the shroud green and it would look like it came that way!

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is the type of Lawn-Boy I grew up with, the 7260.
My Mom bought it in 1970 when I was 13 to replace
the old Jacobsen with the disc blade. Mag 21
with magnesium deck, fiberglass cowling and side bagger:

·
Registered
81 Posts
About 5 years after I moved out my Mom got rid of the 7260 and
got one of these R7070 "Promo" mowers with
the yellow shroud and trim:

I guess it was some sort of special edition? What was the promotion?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a poor picture of my 10545. I'll get some better pictures up tomorrow.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just thought of something. My grandfather had an old Lawn boy he got off one of his friends. He used it for 5 years after he got it. It recently blew the rings in it. I know its a tecumpseh engine. And is self propelled. Iknow you lawnboy fanatic are proabably saying" well that explains alot" but I am not a big lawnboy knowlegable person. Now he went and bought a Cadilac of the mowers. He is in his mid 70's so I believe he deserves something that he can just pull once and its starts. I think it was a John Deere. Real nice. He's planning on fixing that Lawnboy fixed though. He said that hes waiting on me to come down there and tear it apart. So I guess my freetime from everything is going to the lawnboy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About 5 years after I moved out my Mom got rid of the 7260 and
got one of these R7070 "Promo" mowers with
the yellow shroud and trim:

I guess it was some sort of special edition? What was the promotion?
I love the old Promo Models. I am curious about what the promotion was too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is what I have my eyes on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAWNBOY-PLANTINUM-HONDA-GCV160A-RTL1-5-5-HP-/300447008596?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f4098754

I want to swap the whole shroud from a newer Lawn-Boy with the Honda GCV160 engine. They're hard to find though, just the shroud.

eBay picture to follow; not sure how long the photo will be valid.

That would look perfect! I would keep an eye on your local craigslist for the shroud assembly off a junked motor. That way it should be pretty cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The mowers look great, Jason!

I'm surprised to see you owning a 2-cycle, though. :)

Too bad about the game on 9/6---I was pulling for you guys. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts