My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. It’s been a long time since I posted here, but winter does that to a person. I’ve been trying to get my 3002 Buttercup going lately, in the process I found quite a few problems. I went to a local junkyard and found another, far worse 3002, and also this. I spied the orange tank from a snowdrift and dug it out. I found this.. thing. I had never seen a ‘Schoolbus’ with a commercial tank and engine. Special thanks to Capstan, because I nearly left it there thinking it was a mutt. Anyway, bought it for $5.00, and brought it home. Drained water form the carb and tank, fired off on the second pull. It wouldn’t drive, though.. so, once again, thanks to Capstan for those 5 hours of talking me through the overly-complicated yet rather simple gearbox. Turns out the only actual problem was the fact that the drive cable was loose from the handle bracket.. oh well, it’s nice and clean in there now! It runs and drives perfectly, however it just snowed and we’ll have to see about mowing. I have to go back the the yard, I think, upon recollection, I had seen the steel catcher there too. Just going to lightly touch up the under-deck paint and around the chute, and use it as a ‘Sunday driver’ when the weather’s nice. It feels really sturdy.. it was something else trying to lift it onto the bench. Not bad for a junkyard find I think!

So, the question that bugs me, knowing there are a few hard to find things on this mower, like the rear wheels, which have NO wear what-so-ever. Should I actually use it, or just keep it for show?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Cool mower!! Nice save! :ThumbUp:

That's great you were able to get it sorted out thanks to some help from Capstan.

It sounds like your plan to use it as a "Sunday driver" will be a lot of fun! That sounds like a treasure filled place where you found it too.

Thanks for the post! I'm sure Capstan will be along shortly and enjoy seeing your post.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
those things are cool! as far as i know the commercials had the cast iron bore, dual ball bearing crank, and best of all the sound. i love the sound of my hondas but my absolute favorite sound has to be the sound of a lawnboy purring in the morning. i used to have a duraforce but it had so many issues all caused by abuse, probably one of my favorite mowers though

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I feel flattered :)

These mowers really are quite rare, They were only made for one year (1983) and use a really interesting (and by interesting I mean overly complicated for what it needs to be) transmission and drive setup using a friction disc clutch inside the transmission which, When the grease gets old (Like this one did) refuse to work entirely.

Again, Awesome example of a rare machine!

-Capstan :2th:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She just finished her first job! Ran perfectly, just need to find a better catcher for it now. Man it will move out when the drive is engaged.. cuts like a carpet, though it seems the needle valve is sticking a bit, need to mess with the carb a bit more. By the time I had finished, two local landscapers and a few older men from around the street were watching it rumble across the yard. For some reason LB's are very uncommon here, and the landscaper's say it's a rare treat to see one that still runs. I think I amount it to the salty air perhaps? No clue honestly. I've only seen LB's in the scrapyard, one DF in a yard a few towns over. Felt good to remove the old workorder tag from the handle bars. The family must have liked LB's. I talked with the original owner's brother. He remembers both mowers new.
The cool thing of it all? When I found the 3002, it had the last name 'Gange' on the tag of the handle. Last month at the local dump, I found a blue-bladed Galaxy table fan with the name 'Gange' in sharpie on the base. Later still, this Commercial showed up with the name yet again on the handle! Now making the connection, my 8243AE had it too. Must have liked LB's I guess. The man is now in a nursing home, so I hear, but the brother says he'll ask the man if he'd want to talk to me. It'd be cool to meet the original owner! Supposedly he had an LB Gas-Reel mower too.

EDIT:
Oh, yes. Might I add I discovered the fate of the steel grass catcher? The brother used it to patch a hen-house wen the mower died..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts