My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!! i kinda need to jump right in and see if anyone can help me.

I have a 1979 Lawn Boy Model 8310 SN 8505462
I believe the engine is model F-240, unless that's the starter assembly model #

I found a service manual for the machine. It runs great but the recoil spring broke. I replaced it and got it all back together but the starter pinion spring won;t push the start pinion forward to engage the fly wheel. I have been looking at it had it apart a dozen times and can't figure out why.
Does anyone have experience with this machine or problem??
ANY help would be MUCh appreciated!!
Thank you~Kirk

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
Kirk--Does this have a wire on the back of the gear, sort of U shaped? That U should go over a metal tab, or part of the engine casting, to keep the U from rotating, which will in turn make the gear slide forward. The U also rides on the back of that gear in a notch in the plastic. Sort of like a snap ring fits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brad-thanks for the reply.
Yes the spring rides the back of the pinion gear. The manual says it should be spread no more than 1/4inch when it's over the tab/cast lip the it slides over. The spring doesn't come off the tab and if I put the slightest little bit of pressure on the pinion gear it slides forward very easily to the fly wheel. It just won't do it on its own. I'm wondering if the spring isn't just right it won't grip the gear to push it forward, although the spring looks fine to me I guess I should try replacing it maybe??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

As it turns out the spring was some kinda bent out of shape! Which ,apparently, is critical to the pinion gear moving properly!
A new spring took care of it!! Maybe this will help someone else in the future
Thanks

Well, there cannot be too much pressure in there, but the gear needs to go forward when the rope is pulled. Is the gear striped out? Is the wire spring actually holding the gear back?

Any chance of some pictures?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts