My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 8" wheels of the HR214 will give a max height of cut of 3". So I'm wondering if larger diameter wheels would work. I went and bought some 10"ers, but they rubbed the deck (didn't consider that...) It looks like there is space for 9" wheels on the rear, but the front is iffy. Looks like it would rub the deck a bit, but thinking I could maybe put in a spacer to move them out from the deck enough to allow them to bolt on. Has anyone had luck putting larger wheels on an HR214? (And perhaps the same situation goes for the HR215 as well.)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, tracking all that, I'm picturing what you said fine. Seems like it can work, but may need a few rounds of trial and error before everything fits correctly. Thanks for the feedback!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
🤣 Seeing that, The Beach Boys' "409" popped into my head, "215" being substituted for "409", and the line "My four speed, dual quad, posi-traction 409" becoming "My two speed, single barrel, posi-traction 215" with your dual wheels supplying the posi-traction.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm back to report success! I found a set of used 9" wheels off an HRR216: Honda part numbers 44710-VH7-010ZB (front), and 42710-VH7-010ZB (rear with the metal drive gears). I used 1/2" inside diameter shaft collars as spacers - they have a thickness of 13/32", and that was enough to move the front wheels outward so that they just barely cleared the deck. For the rear wheels, I didn't even need to remove the gears because mine is a push only model. If you had a drive, they wouldn't work because the gears on the 9" wheels wouldn't be the same as those on the standard 8". And actually I didn't need the spacers on the rears to clear the deck, but without them, the wheels would rub the height adjustment levers, so were necessary for that purpose. Then to hold the wheels onto the spindles, I replaced the standard 1/2" long flange bolts with metric M8 x 25mm (1") long 1.25 thread pitch flange bolts and they fit perfectly. I also added a washer to increase the holding area of the flange bolts on the wheels. So now the 9" wheels will allow me a 3 1/2" maximum cut height over the 3" max of the 8" wheels!
White Audio equipment Gas Silver Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Font Gas
Gas Automotive tire Nickel Rim Household hardware

Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Engineering
Automotive tire Tire Wood Tread Bumper
Tire Sports equipment Automotive tire Automotive design Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts