My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post. I have 6 year old la 115 mower. Just took it out of hibernation for first mow of the season. I found the steering to be extremely difficult, especially at the extreme left and right limits. This has not happened previously. I'm guessing that something needs to be lubed. I'm pretty handy, so I don't think it needs to go to a shop. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome to MLF!

I would try greasing the spindles (with a grease gun) and see if that works the steering loose. The grease inside them may be dried up .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Have you got a diagram or photo? Deere's website requires a login to see this, but there is no option to register.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Gauging by the diagram, the grease zerks should be right out in front where you can see them standing in front of the tractor, and easy to get a grease gun onto them.

I haven't been able to find a real good picture, but if you can get this one to blow up, you can see a silvery colored thing just over the edge of the tire on the left side of the picture. I think that's what you're looking for. There will be one on the left and the right side. But wait for the sun to come out:)
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbgcHDStvhilkDi5K4ZIqj1EaVFAS53GK-7_r_3axoi65AzXBRe9ESXIN2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks. Looks pretty simple. now, if only I can find my grease gun that I last used 15 years ago.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Yup,

they stick out on the very front of the spindles like Bruce outlined in the photo.

BTW, I love that Gator in the background. The 620i's are sooo nice. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the grease, but you know what? It was the TIRES! All were low and the right front was completely flat! I obviously should have spotted this. I am grateful for all the advice.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I did the grease, but you know what? It was the TIRES! All were low and the right front was completely flat! I obviously should have spotted this. I am grateful for all the advice.
:D I aired all four of mine up yesterday while doing my spring maintenance. I too had noticed the steering seemed to have tightened up some. (I have a suicide knob on it.) None were flat even with only a couple pounds at most in one rear tire but surprising how much difference it makes on steering. Downside is I lost some traction on the slope in the front yard.

On a side not I bought a low pressure gauge at Tractor Supply a few years ago. Comes in real handy for tractor tires to get a more accurate reading compared to a standard pressure gauge. This is the one I have:

SLIME - Worldwide Leader in Tire Care - Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant » Catalog » Catalog Products » 1-20 psi Low-Pressure Gauge with Bonus Caps (#1011-A)

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Well, now it's greased and aired up, so it's really all taken care of. Porbably feels like it's got power steering now.:cool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts