My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here have any experience with the Kohler Command Pro series of engines?

I've been looking for a decent used engine to replace the 8HP Tecumseh on my chipper shredder for a long time. The Tec runs and works, but it is louder than heck, and out in the woods, it seems even louder.

Even though it isn't my first choice in engine brands, I've run across a CL listing for a Kohler Command Pro Model CS8.5T that seems to fit what I'm looking for in size and price point.

Just wondering if anybody can give me any insight into how these engines are in dependability and longevity.

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Bruce if it is based on the normal Command series, it show be good engine. The ones I had/have been very good.

Reactions: Austen and bwdbrn1

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Bruce if it is based on the normal Command series, it show be good engine. The ones I had/have been very good.
Yup. It seems like most models in the Command range have a pretty good reputation.

I wonder if you could change the muffler to a quieter version on your Tec?

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have thought of that option too, but unfortunately the lo tone mufflers that claim to be quiet would run about the same price as the engine I've found. Plus, I'd still be running a side valve engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.