My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced head on Kohler cv20 a month ago with new head gasket, nuts, and washers. Circumstances dictated that head be again removed and reattached. There is now a small oil leak that appears to be coming from head gasket area. Pulled valve cover and added silicone and it is dry there. Question is, does the head gasket have to be replaced every time head is removed, and is it even possible for oil from push rod area of block to get past a head gasket, good or bad ??

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Just from an automotive stance I've always known guys to replace seals and gaskets with breaking an engine apart. Something like the head gasket is a must..... especially when so much of the engine has to be torn down to access it again. VS the valve cover gasket which is very accessible and requires only removing the valve cover. Even then you've got guys that just believe no matter what.... Once the gasket has been broken, while your're there, you might as well replace it. Just my 2 cents.... :2cents:

Can oil get past the head gasket from the push rod area? I would say yes. We've got some residence motor minds that will be able to help you out here. Hope you get to the bottom of the leak and be sure to follow up with your findings. We're all here to learn! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree about gasket change when there. Should have. Didn't have leak when head was first replaced. Could head have warped after only a months of use? Guess going to have to pull head again, this time with a new head gasket. Any additional thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm in the middle of replacing mine on a K161. I purchased a gasket through Oreilly auto parts but it's an aftermarket gasket without the "fire ring". Not sure that's the term but it's the solid piece of metal that encases the inner edge of the gasket. The cheaper aftermarket gaskets don't have it.

Also want to sand the head to insure it's flat so the gasket lasts longer.

http://www.mgonitzke.net/cubcadet/tools/headgasket.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts