My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put a new motor on my Toro Z4200. I used a Kohler Courage 15 hp to replace the original Courage 19 hp. Everything seemed to mate up properly.

When I tried to start, it "clicked" hard for several seconds. Then it turned over but wouldn't start. Then it wouldn't do anything at all. No click, no attempt to turn over.

An observation: When I turned the key to the off position it kept turning over. This was right before it stopped for the final time and wouldn't turn over after that. I tried the starter off the old motor. It did the same thing - nothing at all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

CR

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
See if you blew the fuse. Then I would re-check all the wiring to make sure I didn't hook something up backwards other wise you may blow the fuse again or burn up the starter or solenoid.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It sounds like the starter solenoid and ignition switch are not wired correctly. If there is a fuse in the system, override it while you are figuring out what is what. Toro should have a service manual or repair manual online for your tractor. Looking at the electrical diagrams should straighten things out for you!

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Toro has a very in depth selection of downloadable PDFs (Operators, Parts and Service Manuals) Keep in mind, bypassing a fuse and checking circuits in the aviation industry is referred to as the "Smoke Test". If you have some wires crossed and put power to it and you do not catch it in time, you will burn up a component or at the least part of your wiring harness.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Toro has a very in depth selection of downloadable PDFs (Operators, Parts and Service Manuals) Keep in mind, bypassing a fuse and checking circuits in the aviation industry is referred to as the "Smoke Test". If you have some wires crossed and put power to it and you do not catch it in time, you will burn up a component or at the least part of your wiring harness.
Yes, "letting the smoke out of the wires" as we call it at work:ThumbUp:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Probably should have not said that but if you google that engine you will see what I mean.
I got out of the repair just as kohler stated there twin cyl. line.
IMO they don't make a good twin cyl.
With all of the new stuff on these engines nowdays always replace the engine with the same one you took out unless you are very very good at it doing it on a line you know.
In the end you may have a lot more into this than if you stayed with the same motor.
I still have people who want me to do this sorta stuff to save a buck and I say no buy the right one or trade it in or sell it for parts or junk it.
I did this once years ago and the electric nightmare.....was a nightmare......lost my azz on that job......money wise.
Ok back to your problem if I can help....if you have a black box for ign. instead of coils on the flywheel I can't help you.
If you have a coil by the flywheel....take wire off one or both so it will not start and turn on run and test wires going to the coil or coils with a volt meter. you need volts going there first or it will never start and you need to find the problem.
Let me know what you find?

Art

·
Registered
22 Posts
Forgot some had only 1 wire such as older briggs that was just a ground wire. When you hit stop on ign.switch it just killed the coil...in the run position it was like not having a wire there.
If only one wire take them off...take spark plugs out and turn motor over and check for spark. You may have to use a electric drill to turn it over fast enough in the right direction to see the spark. You can use jumper cables.... ground engine to battery then clamp positive on starter and touch positive post on batter with ign.switch off and check for spark.
Tell me what you find if it only has 1 wire to the coils.
I think most briggs still use this system but not sure unless I Saw what I was looking at.
I just bought a zero turn deere with a briggs and the book shows the old style with coils and just 1 wire fore each cyl.

Art

·
1,329 Posts
concerning the starter hanging on like starter ingaged, I had this to happen on a couple pieces. both times I found a not so clean of connection to the battery. A bad connection from the battery to the starter solenoid and to the starter. causes low voltage and causes the starter to hang on.
Worth a try to check connections. and be sure to have a full charge in the battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts